Should something be done?

Crazy Crays24

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Hello,
I found convict eggs in my 20 gallon aquarium on Friday May 28th. I took all of the other fish out, so it is just the parents and the eggs in the tank. When the eggs hatched on Tuesday June 1st, they were moved to inside of a shell that I have inside of my tank. Today is Monday June 7th and the fry aren't swimming around the tank yet! A while ago, I saw one of the fry try to swim (or jump) out of the shell, but the mom snatched it up and spit it out back in the shell.

Is there something that I should or could do to help the fry to start swimming?

P.S... The temp in the tank has been between 74 and 78 degrees F. (With the most common being 76)

Chris123

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
You mean all day they live inside a shell?

I never had any problems with convict fry before like that

Chris

Crazy Crays24

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
You mean all day they live inside a shell?
Yeah, whenever I look at the fry, they are in that shell. The parents just stay right outside of the shell.

Crazy Crays24

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Does anyone have any advice? ???

firemouthfreak

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Try checking the nitrates and ammonia lvls in the tank.. I heard somewhere that high nitrate levels stunt fry growth.

Nick G

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Is it the Convicts first spawn? It sometimes takes young Cichlids a few attempts to get it right. If they've been living with other Cichlids they may still think the threat is there, which could be another reason that they don't want to let the fry out.

Crazy Crays24

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Yes, this is the convicts' first spawn. And I think that you might be right about the convicts thinking that the threat is still there. Thank you for the great and interesting advice!

Toggle Sidebar

New Threads