should my yellow glofish gills be slightly pink? Question

Discussion in 'Glofish' started by Zia, Mar 28, 2010.

1. Z

Zia Valued Member Member

Added TSS to my tank, and then 6 glofish, 4 days ago. Noticed today my big yellow glofish (during the 2 seconds he is still) has slightly pinkish gills. I don't remember if he came home that way, or not... He appears 100% FINE otherwise. He's taken over as *chief chaser* and oversees the middle of the tank, making sure none of the other glofish enter his little territory. Very hungry all the time, so fast I can't keep up with him. All other fish act the same, but with different coloration, I can't determine their gill color.

Although you're not supposed to test the first 7 days with TSS, I did, and my readings were .25 (barely), 0, 5. While I'd like the NH3 to be 0, obviously, I am not alarmed enough at the .25 to take any corrective action until I've given TSS a chance to do its stuff.

Should I be worried today? I'm thinking no, just watch closely, but would like a second opinion. :)

2. Aquarist

Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

Hello Zia,

It sounds like the TSS is doing its thing. During the first 10 days of using TSS your readings may be all over the place. I think you're doing the right thing but just relaxing and letting TSS take control.

As for the GloFish...I've never owned any but I would be more concerned had you stated that the gills were red. I'm sure you'll get more responses on this.

Best of luck! Please let us know how the TSS works for you.

Ken

3. Gouramiguy17

Gouramiguy17 Well Known Member Member

I sort of think it might be amonia burns. Usally they are red but since your fish is yellow it could cause them to be pink.

4. OP
    OP
    Z

Zia Valued Member Member

Ammonia burns was what I was thinking, but this morning I'm at 0, 0, 5. Maybe they've always been this color. Hmmmm...

5. c

chunkdaddy Valued Member Member

Do know if this will help you, but I have 2 long fin gold zebras & their gills have always been a pinkish-red.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice