Should my blue LED moon lights stay on overnight?

Status
Not open for further replies.

masstroy

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I have a Beamswork 48" DA 120 6500K LED aquarium light ( ) on my 55gal tank and I also purchased the timer module for it which allows me to program on/off times for the white and blue LEDs separately.

Should I be leaving the blue lights on overnight? Currently I have them set to come on half an hour before the whites, and they stay on for a few hours after (because it looks cool until I go to bed). Im wondering if a little bit of lighting would help the fish see at night and avoid their tank mates.

I've been searching around on this forum and on the internet and there seems to be a split opinion on the matter but I can not find any articles or data to back it up. Does anyone know of any articles or data?

fishandle

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Maybe there something out there, but I really doubt there is anything definitive on blue lights. I feel like in nature it is really dark in rivers and lakes at night and blue light does not simulate anything found in nature. Since when is moonlight blue anyway? What blue lights are good for is bringing out your nocturnal species for viewing, but I would go total black for the rest of the night.

OP
masstroy

masstroy

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I suspect the blue is more natural in a saltwater reef tanks. On a 15ft deep reef in the ocean, the faint white moon light would be pretty blue once it passed through that depth of water. You're probably right about rivers and lakes though. They're usually brown or green.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Toggle Sidebar

Top Bottom