Should I?

1. I keep fish Well Known Member Member

2. Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

That's a LOT of money for a 20.

3. I keep fish Well Known Member Member

I did the math it's cheaper than a plain tank cause it comes with the filter and hood

4. e_watson09 Well Known Member Member

I think kits are usually cheaper than that. That's also a incendesent lit tank. Which isn't always bad but my incendesent tank is SUPER warm all the time. (its kept in a cold basement too) the bulbs give off a lot of heat so it limits your fish choices. I am pretty sure where I work we have LED lit full kits they are only $50. I would keep looking. Plus I don't like that filter.

5. Akari_32 Fishlore Legend Member

If you replace the incandescent bulbs with CFLs, the tank will not get so hot. Only as hot as the heater is set to ;)

6. e_watson09 Well Known Member Member

my incendesent fixture only allows two screw in bulbs. You can't put flouresent bulbs in it. To replace mine I'd have to get a new fixture which runs like $30 if I recall correctly? That then makes this tank $90..

7. Akari_32 Fishlore Legend Member

Nope! CFLs come in screwy bulbs too. I buy mine at the grocery store, for regular lamps. Its all I use on my tanks (that don't have a fluorescent fixture, of which I have two, a 20 long and a 29) :)

8. e_watson09 Well Known Member Member

OHHHH those big spinny bulbs? I don't know if they would fit in my tank. I may have to look into this. :;dete You totally just blew my mind!!

9. I keep fish Well Known Member Member

10. Akari_32 Fishlore Legend Member

Yep, the cool swirly ones =D I've managed to shove them in a WalMart tank hood. Not an easy task. If I can do it, you can do it! >=D

11. e_watson09 Well Known Member Member

hummm 60W is too much for my hood. Mine is only for up to 25W, don't want to start a fire. I'll have to look into it

*sorry to hijack the thread!*

12. Akari_32 Fishlore Legend Member

They come in lots of wattages (wow, my laptop isn't trying to auto-correct a made up word!!!! LOL). 10, 13, 26.... Mix and match XD

13. I keep fish Well Known Member Member

its only 13 watts though my hoods the same and they work fine

14. I keep fish Well Known Member Member

And also give some suggestions on what to get i dont want to spend more than 100 bucks