Should I?

Discussion in 'Freshwater Tank Equipment' started by I keep fish, Mar 12, 2012.

1. I keep fish

I keep fishWell Known MemberMember

My birthday is in a month im thinking of upgrading from a 10 gal. to a 20 gal :D should i just get this it seems like a good deal. I want to keep my 10 gallon the way it is but i think i could get away with a 20 gallon rectangle im just wondering what i could stock it.

Heres the link for the tank it comes with a hood and a filter

2. Jaysee

JayseeFishlore LegendMember

That's a LOT of money for a 20.

3. OP
    OP
    I keep fish

I did the math it's cheaper than a plain tank cause it comes with the filter and hood

4. e_watson09

e_watson09Well Known MemberMember

I think kits are usually cheaper than that. That's also a incendesent lit tank. Which isn't always bad but my incendesent tank is SUPER warm all the time. (its kept in a cold basement too) the bulbs give off a lot of heat so it limits your fish choices. I am pretty sure where I work we have LED lit full kits they are only $50. I would keep looking. Plus I don't like that filter.

5. Akari_32

Akari_32Fishlore LegendMember

If you replace the incandescent bulbs with CFLs, the tank will not get so hot. Only as hot as the heater is set to ;)

6. e_watson09

my incendesent fixture only allows two screw in bulbs. You can't put flouresent bulbs in it. To replace mine I'd have to get a new fixture which runs like $30 if I recall correctly? That then makes this tank $90..

7. Akari_32

Nope! CFLs come in screwy bulbs too. I buy mine at the grocery store, for regular lamps. Its all I use on my tanks (that don't have a fluorescent fixture, of which I have two, a 20 long and a 29) :)

8. e_watson09

OHHHH those big spinny bulbs? I don't know if they would fit in my tank. I may have to look into this. :;dete You totally just blew my mind!!

9. OP
    OP
    I keep fish

i use 13 w cfl bulbs on my 10 gallon you can buy them at walmart! for 4 bucks for 3

10. Akari_32

Yep, the cool swirly ones =D I've managed to shove them in a WalMart tank hood. Not an easy task. If I can do it, you can do it! >=D

11. e_watson09

hummm 60W is too much for my hood. Mine is only for up to 25W, don't want to start a fire. I'll have to look into it

*sorry to hijack the thread!*

12. Akari_32

They come in lots of wattages (wow, my laptop isn't trying to auto-correct a made up word!!!! LOL). 10, 13, 26.... Mix and match XD

13. OP
    OP
    I keep fish

its only 13 watts though my hoods the same and they work fine

14. OP
    OP
    I keep fish

And also give some suggestions on what to get i dont want to spend more than 100 bucks

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice