Should I Worry? Is It Ick? Help

1. D

Donkiefish New Member Member

10 gallon tank. Fully cycled.
    Ph 7.5
    0 ammonia
    0 nitrites
    5-10 ppm nitrates
    Got 2 German blue rams. Only fish in tank. Fish has a something on it's tail fin. Possibly ick?
    Got fish Yesterday. Did a long acclimation. Over an hour. Kept lights off. The fish im worried about looks good. Is swimming more than the other. Hope the pic is good enough.

Attached Files:

2. TexasDomer

TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

Welcome to Fishlore!

That does not look like ich to me. I'd be sure to do frequent water changes - clean water can help him heal (and water changes are still beneficial even if there is no ammonia or nitrites).

What's the temp of the tank?

3. OP
    OP
    D

76F
    Thank you for the reply.
    I was going to do around 25% change today. Should I do that daily for a while?

4. TexasDomer

76 F is a little too low for GBRs. I'd increase it up to 80 F or so.

25-50% daily water changes sound like a great idea :)

5. OP
    OP
    D

I have one of those that doesn't adjust. They're going in a 75 gal with a heater That can be adjusted. Heater won't fit in this tank.
    Will they be okay for a few weeks at 76F until that tank cycles?
    Just got the filter delivered today for that.
    Planning a fishless cycle with plplants def put some media from this tank in there.
    Again, thank you for helping.

6. Biev

Biev Valued Member Member

Any chance you can move them to the new tank right away along with your current filter? This way you'll have a cycled filter running while the newer filter catches up.

7. OP
    OP
    D

That's a great idea, biev. Idk why I didn't think of that. Will that work from a 10 gallon all the way up to a 75? I just don't want to do more harm than good.

8. TexasDomer

If the media in the 10 gal is fully cycled for their bioload and you're not adding anything else to the 75 gal right away, that should be fine.

9. OP
    OP
    D

Thank you both for the help! Hopefully get water in the 75 tomorrow.

10. OP
    OP
    D

Just lost 1. Wasn't even the one I thought was sick. Tested ammonia and nitrites both 0. Could the 76 degrees have killed it? It's steady temp. Been keeping a close eye on it today.

11. RonJ

RonJ Well Known Member Member

No 76 don’t kill. I thought the white thing was because of fin nipping. Fighting. May be that’s why lost the fish too?

12. TexasDomer

These guys are very sensitive. He could have been sick from the store or just too stressed from the move.

13. OP
    OP
    D

Other ended up passing in the morning. :( probably the move. Was fresh stock at the store. I thought they were gonna do good. They have 14 day return.

They had 2 more. Fresh stock Wednesday. Should I try to get those if they still have? See if they'll hold them, to destress a bit? Im not sure what's best. I got the 75 all planted. In the process of filling it.

14. TexasDomer

I'd wait a few days after they've arrived at the store before bringing them home (a week would be even better).

15. yukondog

yukondog Well Known Member Member

When I get rams I like to wait a week or so to let the weaker ones die off, but look them over real good first. I'm down to two rams now, once these go I think I'm done with GBR. Good luck it sounds like your on the right track.