Should I worry about Purple algae?

slipknotgrrl83

Here I am once again with the questions....I have had some purple algae growing on my LR for some time now, I am
noticing now that it has spread to my substrate a little and fake plants I have in there.. is this something I should worry about? it is pretty but I don't like it on my substrate and vacuum it up when doing water changes. I just want to know if this is coralline algae and what I can do to kind of control it so it doesn't spread to substrate any more than it has

I will post pics shortly

1512290_10152327510639932_1020728270_n.jpg

as you can see its in the corner on gravel and more in the front which is not seen in pic as well as on fake plants

Mike

Looks like cyanobacteria to me. I would scrub/siphon it off the rock and increase the frequency of water changes with RO water to bring down the phosphates and nitrates. High water flow in the tank will help keep nutrients suspended and give your protein skimmer a chance to remove them.

slipknotgrrl83

would you suggest I take out the rocks and scrub them in saltwater to remove what I can then put back into tank. I will be doing wc on Thursday and will be able to do it then.

slipknotgrrl83

any one else care to chime in?

Mike

would you suggest I take out the rocks and scrub them in saltwater to remove what I can then put back into tank. I will be doing wc on Thursday and will be able to do it then.

Yup you could take it out and use an old toothbrush to remove the cyano. Need to fix the underlying issues with why you are getting the cyano in the first place though or it will eventually come back.

slipknotgrrl83

I did test my water earlier and nitrite/ammonia are at 0 ph is 8.1 and nitrates was reading a tad above o. unfortunately I don't have a phosphorous test yet..getting one this week as well as a calcium one.I do feed my fish 2 times a day as much as they can eat within a miin and lights are left one about 8 hours... I have decided to leave them off for a few days and scrub/vacuum the tank tomorrow and possibly cut back feeding. would it be harmful to leave lights off for maybe a week? also I do use tap water, I may switch to filtered water unless I can find RO water somewhere near me

slipknotgrrl83

Found the culprit of my algae issue today, my phosphates are high.. I will no longer be using tap water for water changes but how can I get it out of my tank? it reads 2 on the chart which is very high

Mike

Found the culprit of my algae issue today, my phosphates are high.. I will no longer be using tap water for water changes but how can I get it out of my tank? it reads 2 on the chart which is very high

To bring phosphate down you could do lots of partial water changes with RO water. You could run rowaphos or phosban in a media reactor. Biopellets will bring down phosphates and nitrates too. Feed less if you are over feeding, skI'm wetter. Do a fishlore search for aquarium algae control for more ideas on bringing those parameters in line.

slipknotgrrl83

I went to the store and bought some phosgaurd pellets and put in extra slot in filter and will be doing a water change in the morning.. what do you mean by skI'm wetter?

Mike

Lower the skimmer collection cup or increase the flow so you have to empty the skimmer more often. The water changes with RO water and the phosphate remover will help a lot though.

slipknotgrrl83

alright ty

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Aquarist
  • Question
  • Eclipse737
  • Algae
Replies
Views
Eclipse737