Should I worry about 8.0 pH?

1. l

ltwh13 New Member Member

I have a newer 10 gal tank (about 5 weeks). I used Seachem Stability and it is fully cycled. Water parameters are good,0-0-0 except my pH is 8.0.

I don't know if I should use a chemical to reduce it or not. I've read that rapidly changing pH isn't good. The tap water here has a high pH so I'd have to continually use something if I decided to go that route.

The only fish in the tank is a lonely Cory. I am planning on adding more cories but want I was hoping to have the pH down.

Should I worry about the higher pH level?

Thanks!

2. Nicoldeme

Nicoldeme Valued Member Member

Welcome to Fishlore!
    No, don't worry. The fish I have in my tanks prefer lower pH, but mine is high at 8.2. I've never had an issue in the year my tank has been up. And yes, changing the pH rapidly is very hazardous and will probably kill your cory.

3. A

Annie424 Well Known Member Member

If your water parameters are 0-0-0, then your tank most likely is not cycled. You should be getting a nitrate reading. I would't recommend using pH Down, there are better ways to lower pH without chemicals if you really need to. Most fish will acclimate to a higher-ish pH so long as it is stable. Something to consider - corys do best in a school of at least 6 and are not recommended for a 10G tank - it's too small. What other fish are you thinking about adding? If I were you, I'd consider re-homing the cory, he won't be happy by himself and you can't create a school large enough for comfort in a 10G.

4. o

oldsalt777 Well Known Member Member

Hello Itwh...

Corydoras prefer a neutral pH of 7, but the bigger question is the small tank you have. Corys are shoaling fish and feel comfortable in groups of 6 or more. A 10 gallon tank is going to be very small for even a tiny species of Cory like a Pygmy or Panda.

Small tanks are a challenge to keep clean, much more so than larger tanks. I wish you luck keeping the water clean enough for any fish.

Old

5. el337

el337 Fishlore Legend Member

6. B

Blk69 Valued Member Member

Ya, your cory is not going to be too happy in the 10 gal tank. Its my experience don't have to follow the 6 Cory rule (but they probable would do better), you need at least two. Need your Nitrite level up a little for tank cycling to be compete.

A 10 gal tank is a little small for Corys, even going up to a 20 gal open up a whole possibilities and you will be much happier. Fair warning, I have a 75 gal tank it is starting to look to small to me. Large Tank Syndrome is a serious illness associated with the hobby.

That said, if your keeping the 10 gal, and keeping the cory, get another one (get a small one!!!). They will not live as long as if you had a larger tank, but sometimes you have to do what you have to do. Get a couple fish that swim at the top (danios are great) couple in the middle and you should be good. If you stock to the max, will need more water changes. That is the real deal breaker here, low stock level can get away with by-weekly water changes (some do monthly).

Good luck and enjoy your tank. It will change your life (good and bad).

7. Nicoldeme

Nicoldeme Valued Member Member

Both of my tanks, a 10g and a 2.5g, have zero nitrates due to frequent water changes, even though they're both overstocked. Also, because you only have a single fish in there, that may be why there's so few nitrates. It just might not be detectable yet. I second upgrading the tanks, but with enough water changes, you probably could keep a small school of corys (4-5), depending on the type. Getting a lot of live plants will help with the water quality as well.
    Wish you luck on your tanks! :)