Should I water change?

AggressiveAquatics

Hey
So I’ve been cycling my new 75 for a couple of weeks now and I’ve tested the water to be 0 ammonia 1ppm nitrite and 20 nitrate so should I do a water change to get nitrites down? I only got nitrites two days ago so they have only been at 1ppm for a day is that to high that I need to water change?

Roboticsbede

Just do a 50% water change for safety measures and get ready the fish as it looks like your cycle is almost complete.

MacZ

Whenever the question of "Should I waterchange?" occurs, a "Yes" is not a wrong answer.

AggressiveAquatics

MacZ said:
Whenever the question of "Should I waterchange?" occurs, a "Yes" is not a wrong answer.
Alright thanks I just didn’t want it to mess up my cycle

MacZ

When there are nitrates you won't. Just remember to re-add an ammonia source afterwards to be safe.

mattgirl

AggressiveAquatics

mattgirl said:
I am assuming this tank has your blood parrot in it. If I am correct then as long as you temp match and add your water conditioner (if you have chlorine/chloramines) a water change is not going to hurt your cycle. Change out 50% of the water and it should lower the nitrites to .5 and nitrates down to 10.

If I am wrong and you are doing a fishless cycle, a water change isn't necessary.
I’m doing a fishless cycle I don’t trust myself doing a fish in lol.

mattgirl

AggressiveAquatics said:
I’m doing a fishless cycle I don’t trust myself doing a fish in lol.
In that case a water change isn't necessary right now. Go ahead and add ammonia each time it gets down close to zero. You want to keep the bacteria fed.

V1K

AggressiveAquatics said:
Hey
So I’ve been cycling my new 75 for a couple of weeks now and I’ve tested the water to be 0 ammonia 1ppm nitrite and 20 nitrate so should I do a water change to get nitrites down? I only got nitrites two days ago so they have only been at 1ppm for a day is that to high that I need to water change?
When I was cycling my tank, the nitrites dropped at a steady rate for a while and then kind of got stuck at 1 for nearly a week. Being impatient I did 70% water change (I had 50+ mg/L of nitrates, so I needed to bring them way down anyway), which brought the nitrites down to undetectable levels, introduced the fish, and the nitrites were never seen again. Not saying that's what you should do, I'm no expert.

Most photos, videos and links are disabled if you are not logged in.

Top Bottom