Should I wait to add more fish?

1. Lyfeoffishing Well Known Member Member

Okay so last Wednesday I add 10 cardinal tetras to my 55 gallon. 6/10 survived and are schooling tightly and are very skittish whenever I walk into the room. They are also refusing to eat anything I have tried tetracolor granules, hikiari algae wafers, hikiari micro pellets, and blood worms with no avail.
    I would like to get another 10 cardinals this week but I don't know if I should wait until these ones are eating first or if maybe more buddy's will help them open up and eat also.

Tank parameters as this morning
    0 ammo
    0 nitrite
    10 nitrate
    7.8 PH
    80F temp

2. jdhef Moderator Moderator Member

I always recommend waiting 10-14 days between additional fish, and with adding 10, I would wait the full14 days. 6 should be a large enough group for them to feel comfortable, so I do not think the problem is the need for more buddies.

BTW, by your question I assume you are not going to QT the additional fish before aadding them to the main tank.

3. Coradee Moderator Moderator Member

I'd go ahead & get some more as long as the ones you have are showing no sign of disease they'll feel more secure in a larger school.
    I don't know if your tank is planted but adding some, or more plants also makes fish feel more secure.
    They could be eating once you've walked away from the tank, they will pick food from the bottom or off plants so I doubt they're starving, unless they're looking really thin.

4. Lyfeoffishing Well Known Member Member

I won't be QTing these cardinals because they are from the same store same stock (they get shipments every two weeks). But I will be getting a 10g QT next Friday when I get my paycheck for future stocking.

FTS last night
    [​IMG]

They are the only inhabitants also. And I have seen them harass snails on the glass but not eat them.

5. Maxi1 Member Member

Nice looking tank!

Sent from my iPad using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum