Should I Wait It Out Or....

619DevSD

Reaction score
Ok so my 40gal. that I just transferred to from a 10gal. is cycling AGAIN I think, (or mini cycling from what im guessing) I used the filter and some gravel from the 10 gallon tho try and jumpstart the process but it's been about a week and the tank is still cloudy! (Is there such a thing as TOO MUCH BB?) Well my initial question is this: if my tank is still cycling is it better or safer to do a water change or do I just wait it out?

Any help is sooooo very much appreciated, and thank you I'm so glad this community answers my questions (hopefully they're not too dumb lol)

Last edited by a moderator:

Jenoli42

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Ok so my 40gal. that I just transferred to from a 10gal. is cycling AGAIN I think, (or mini cycling from what im guessing) I used the filter and some gravel from the 10 gallon tho try and jumpstart the process but it's been about a week and the tank is still cloudy! (Is there such a thing as TOO MUCH BB?) Well my initial question is this: if my tank is still cycling is it better or safer to do a water change or do I just wait it out?
well you're on the right track if you transferred the filter with all the old media full of bacteria.

the way to know if you're tank is safe is to test your parameters. ammonia, nitrite & nitrate.

619DevSD

Reaction score
I'm sorry I forgot to list them, I've been checking the with 5 in 1 easy test strips.
Readings are: nitrate:
Nitrite: 20-40
Total hardness: .5-1.0
Total alkalinity: 120
pH: 6.8

Oops that was all wrong!
Nitrate is 20-40
Nitrite is .5-1.0
Hardness is 150
Alkalinity is 120
pH is 6.8 - 7.2

Sorry for the mix up and again thank you for the help

619DevSD

Reaction score
That's all the strips read, how to read the amonia levels?

But I have used amonia neutralizer

Lissi Kat

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Get a master test kit they're way more accurate! It should have ammonia nitrite nitrate ph kh gh and from there they can vary extras can include iron and co2.
If there's still detectable levels of nitrite or ammonia it's not cycled. I don't think thete is such a thing as too much bb if they're not getting fed they die off but too few and you've got a problem

Mom2some

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Do you have fish in this tank? Assuming yes I would do a large water change to bring the Nitrite level down closer to 0. Keep testing and keep water changing.

619DevSD

Reaction score
Will get a Master test kit soon as I get paid on Friday, should I do a water change though? And do I treat the water with the Tetra kit?

Yes there's fish, 6 fry( mollies) 1 algae eater, 2 guppies, 4 mollies of 4 months old and the 1 black Mollie that birthed the fry that's in there now

Lissi Kat

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Do you have tetra safe start there? Is so use it. The test kit isn't for treating it's only for showing the levels of chemicals present so you can act in accordance with what you're seeing.you can use seachem prime or seachem safe to detoxify ammonia and nitrate.dosing instructions are on the packet. I'm not sure if those will affect how or if tetra safe start work or if it will give you false readings on a test it can vary between brands. Do water changes to keep the water as non toxic as possible.nitite poisoning is a pretty sucky thing and nobody wants to treat sick fish if it can be avoided in the first place. Depending on what kind of algae eater you have they can be pretty sensitive to bad water quality so be careful

619DevSD

Reaction score
Ok so then I'll do water changes, thank you so much for the help. So glad I found this site still new to the fish hobby

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom