Should I use salty shrimp gh/kh+ or seachem equilibrium?

Mbross325

After my last thread about my water parameters, I bought the 4 stage aquatic life RO buddie, and the 6800 booster pump. Added a pressure gauge and a flush value. So far I collected 15 gallons in 3 5 gallon leaktite buckets with lids. Let it sit for about 24 hours and the initial pH result of 7.4 dropped down to 6.0. Both the gh and kh are 0-1 drop and no ppm reading. After much deliberation, I decided on some changes to my stocking list but I still wanted RCS, I’ll be ordering the neon yellow form.

My question is should I use SS gh/kh+ or seachem equilibrium or both? And how much should I use? I’m aware that the SS+ will raise the pH, but I also have the seachem acid and alkaline buffer on hand if needed. Substrate will be 40# of caribbsea eco-complete, and it will be heavily planted (eventually).

I won’t be adding the additives to the tank but instead in these 5 gallon buckets. Tank is 55 gallons

Stocking list:
15 black neons
20 ember tetras
15 neon/cardinals (haven’t decided)
5-6 glass catfish (my dad has 2 he’s gonna give me once my tank is set up and ready)
Neon yellow neo shrimp
Amano shrimp
Nerite snails

Any other advice would be appreciated, thanks

Nopsu

I think you should use the kh/gh salt to buff the values to around 5 and keep it there. Ph should not rise overly much and >4KH will make sure it doesn't swing around and stays stable and gh5 should be sufficient mineral level for the fish atleast. Maybe get gh only salt on top of that if you need harder water but atleast tetras are soft water fish so 5-6 will do. (I do not know the catfish or shrimp gh requirements)
Stability is the key with pH so dont worry if it rises a bit. I'd not try to meddle with the acid/alkaline buffers on top. Driftwoods and other stuff (like fish poop.. And decaying plant matter) usually lower the tank pH slightly over time as well.

Mbross325

Hmm… I’m wondering if it’s better to get the salty shrimp that only raises gh, that way I can adjust the kh and ph however I want (in theory)

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
HarlaJean
Replies
Views
michaelsf90
  • Question
Replies
Views
eggshell
Replies