Should I Use Salt?

1. PraptiPanda

PraptiPanda Valued Member Member

My rescued betta, now in a 1gal qt, is improving slowly. I am doing 50% wc everyday, as the bucket doesn't have a filter. One of my concerns is that his gill flap seems to be a little extended all the time, even though he doesn't flare. Also, he has ammonia burns on and near his gills - red gashes too. And since he rubs against the walls, I checked for velvet, but it only seems like he wants more swimming space. Should I use aquarium salt to help him heal? Or is it just an irritant? I researched but couldn't conclude anything.

2. California L33

California L33 Well Known Member Member

If he's getting better I'd hold off on the salt and keep up with the water changes. Of course, if all he's got ammonia poisoning and some stress he should clear up quickly.

3. tunafax

tunafax Well Known Member Member

If a betta has nothing that needs to be medicated with salt, don't medicate with salt. Wounds aren't the same as burns.

50% WC should take care of the ammonia burns since the only way to heal those is pristine water. I heart that API Stress Coat+ also helps since it has aloe, and that makes sense to me because aloe is good for chemical and heat burns in people - so it the very least it can't make things worse.

Just wait out your little guy. :) He would probably appreciate the space if you can get him out of that 1g bucket into a 2g storage tote.