Should I Use Reverse Osmosis For Goldfish

ballpointftw

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Hello,

It's been hard to get freshwater at my local fish store because of my new work schedule. The freshwater I used to get from them are consistently at ph 7.4.

I have 2 goldfishes in a 55 gallon tank. I've been using the hose water but the ph level is at 8.2 and I have used water conditioners to lower the ph level but that gets expensive quick considering I had to use a whole bottle of it.

I've heatd that doing reverse osmosis is unneccessary for goldfishes but I figure in my case, it may be worth it after all.

Is this a good idea? If it is, what reverse osmosis do you suggest to use for goldfishes. I'm trying to keep it at ph level 7.4.

Thank you!

maggie thecat

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
You really don't . Goldfish are widely adapted to a range of pHs. Artificially altering pH can cause swings that could be much more detrimental to your fish.

Just use conditioned water with out any other enhancements .

Also, reverse osmosis water is generally used for fish that require very soft (no or few minerals like Calcium) water. It isn't normally used to lower pH.

sfsamm

Well Known Member
Reaction score
I agree with everything stated above. I'd have relayed exactly the same info to you had she not beat me to it.

ballpointftw

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
maggie thecat said:
You really don't . Goldfish are widely adapted to a range of pHs. Artificially altering pH can cause swings that could be much more detrimental to your fish.

Just use conditioned water with out any other enhancements .

Also, reverse osmosis water is generally used for fish that require very soft (no or few minerals like Calcium) water. It isn't normally used to lower pH.
Thank yoi dor your response. Alrighty then, I guess I worried for nothing.

Mick Frost

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
My well water is very high, so most of my tanks get somewhere between 25-50% well water and 50-75% RO. Its doable, but it can be a hassle.

If you figure out a source of RO that is easy to get, 50/50 should get you pretty close to 7.4 PH. You can then slowly increase the % of Tap water with each water change to slowly acclimate your fish, and be able to use strait Tap water in the end.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom