Should I use feeding fish for food while on vacation?

Discussion in 'Fish Food' started by kiziahlikefish, Nov 5, 2014.

1. kiziahlikefish

kiziahlikefishNew MemberMember

Ratings:
    +0
    Experience:
    1 year
    Hello!
    So I am going on break next month and since I live in a college area, so is just about everyone. Im going to be gone just over two weeks so I am not too keen on leaving my fish without food that long.

I have a 12 gallon tank, with live plants, and I have a small pleco, two African Dwarf Frogs, 2 tetras, and a guppy.

I have read about leaving feeder fish in the tank so if the fish get hungry enough they will just eat them, I saw a lot about ghost shrimp specifically. I'm just not sure how my frogs will handle this, if my fish will even eat them, etc.
    I guess my question is what do I do? I read about automatic feeders, but I also read a lot of horror stories caused by their malfunctioning?
    Thanks for any advice you can give me!

2. 77Impala

77ImpalaWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +1
    Experience:
    5 to 10 years
    Since no one is going to be there to take care of them the best thing is to take them with you. ADF's will not eat most feeder fish. And most ghost shrimp can move faster than the ADF's can. I know because I keep ADF's and Ghost shrimp in the same tank.

Auto feeders can work but for your stock it may put out to much food even on its lowest setting. Also you would have to mix the food up so everybody would have something to eat.

If you go with the auto feeder I would recommend buying it right now, setting it up, and watch it over the next month to see if it indeed will work as you want. If so then maybe thee days before leaving put in new battery and right before you leave fill up the hopper.

I wish you and your aquatic friends the best during your vacation.

3. OP
    OP
    kiziahlikefish

Ratings:
    +0
    Experience:
    1 year
    Thanks! I can't bring them with me because I'm flying by plane and will also be on a 12 hour car drive so I'm afraid all the motion and change will stress them out too much! I'm probably going to follow your advice and just get an autofeeder now and mix fish food with some ADF food and monitor it over the next few weeks and pray that everyone makes it out okay, I really hate leaving them more than a few days. :)

4. 77Impala

77ImpalaWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +1
    Experience:
    5 to 10 years
    Have you been able to try out an automatic feeder yet?

5. VWTDI02

VWTDI02Well Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +12
    Experience:
    Just started
    The automatic feeders do put out a lot of food at once. The one I have came from walmart and I ended up taping off part of it so that only a very small amount would come out.

6. OP
    OP
    kiziahlikefish

Ratings:
    +0
    Experience:
    1 year
    Not yet I'm still looking into which ones to buy! Some have like pill-sized containers and i think that may be good cause at least then if it breaks not all the food is flooded into the tank.