Should I Use A Powerhead?

Discussion in 'Freshwater Tank Equipment' started by rleblanc19, Apr 20, 2018.

1. rleblanc19New MemberMember

Hey guys,
    I have a 55 Gallon Aquarium with a Marineland Penguin 350B filter. I have it stocked with:
    5 White Skirt Tetra
    1 Guppy
    4 Platies
    2 Female Koi Bettas
    5 Ghost Shrimp
    1 Paradise Gourami
    1 Siamese Algae Eater
    2 Golden Apple Snails
    I have some plants, both real and fake, some rocks, the decor is tilted so that the shrimp and algae eater have places to hide, and I have another hiding spot decoration.
    So I got this tank of of Facebook for $40, along with a heater, two powerheads, a backdrop, and a couple decorations. My only problem is that the right side of the tank, the water surface is a bit stagnant. I'm wondering if I should put the powerhead on the right side of the tank, and let it do it's thing. It is a SunSun JVP-101, 800gph. Would it badly stress my fish out? Or should I go for it?
    Thank!

2. Greg FWell Known MemberMember

Bettas in particular dont care for high current. You could add a pump and airstone for about 15 bucks and be just fine.

3. rleblanc19New MemberMember

Thanks! But what about the other fish? And is the powerhead too powerful for an aquarium that size?

4. Greg FWell Known MemberMember

Everyone else would be fine. You can absolutely try the powerhead. Aiming it towards the glass will .mute the flow somewhat too.

5. aussieJJDudeWell Known MemberMember

IMO, with the bettas and paradise fish, I would try and aim for the lowest amount of water flow possible.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice