Should I Use A Powerhead?

rleblanc19

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Hey guys,
I have a 55 Gallon Aquarium with a Marineland Penguin 350B filter. I have it stocked with:
5 White Skirt Tetra
1 Guppy
4 Platies
2 Female Koi Bettas
5 Ghost Shrimp
1 Paradise Gourami
1 Siamese Algae Eater
2 Golden Apple Snails
I have some plants, both real and fake, some rocks, the decor is tilted so that the shrimp and algae eater have places to hide, and I have another hiding spot decoration.
So I got this tank of of Facebook for $40, along with a heater, two powerheads, a backdrop, and a couple decorations. My only problem is that the right side of the tank, the water surface is a bit stagnant. I'm wondering if I should put the powerhead on the right side of the tank, and let it do it's thing. It is a SunSun JVP-101, 800gph. Would it badly stress my fish out? Or should I go for it?
Thank!

Greg F

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Bettas in particular dont care for high current. You could add a pump and airstone for about 15 bucks and be just fine.

rleblanc19

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Greg F said:
Bettas in particular dont care for high current. You could add a pump and airstone for about 15 bucks and be just fine.
Thanks! But what about the other fish? And is the powerhead too powerful for an aquarium that size?

Greg F

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Everyone else would be fine. You can absolutely try the powerhead. Aiming it towards the glass will .mute the flow somewhat too.

aussieJJDude

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
IMO, with the bettas and paradise fish, I would try and aim for the lowest amount of water flow possible.

Toggle Sidebar

New Threads