Should I use a 50 watt heater in my 3 Gallon Betta tank?

lbonini1

HI guys! - So typically my room is warm enough to not need a heater (The water actually stays around 79-80, my room is that warm haha)

But today it is bloody 39 degrees outside and about 60 inside! - I have a 50 Watt Aqueon Heater for a 10 Gallon I could use since I can't go out right now to get a proper heater, should I use this and monitor the temperature closely?

I spend most of my day in my room anyway since I have a lot of homework to do, would it be too much for the Betta? The max temperature it goes to is 79 and it is a preset heater with no adjustable thermostat or anything.

I DO have a thermometer in the tank which reads the water is at 69 degrees Fahrenheit (TOO COLD)

Please help!

Aquaphobia

Yes! I use a 50w on a 2.5g and it works fine for me. As long as you're watching the temperature it can't hurt, right?

CindiL

Oooh, that is cold. Yeah, I'd use the 50w, that's what I use. Even if it goes to the low 80's your betta will be happy.

lbonini1

Ok I just plugged it in and I am watching the fish, tank and temperature like a hawk!

martidoll

I have a 50w in my 5 gallon tank for my betta and a 50w in my water bucket for water changes and it works great on both. I couldnt get anything smaller.....so even though they say up to 10-20 I would think it would be fine. And yes your betta will be happier even if it does warm up a bit!

Good luck and stay warm!!

PodusMacro

... I have a 50 Watt Aqueon Heater for a 10 Gallon ...

Where is the 10 gallon? The concern with a 50w for a 3 gallon is if it should malfunction in a way that causes an increase in temperature the 3 gallon could overheat quickly. If you still have the 10 gallon but want to keep the fish in the 3 gallon then put the 3 gallon inside the empty 10 gallon then add ~5g of water to the 10g. Put the heater in the 10g. If the heater goes haywire the 3 gallon won't overheat as badly.

lbonini1

I warmed the water up enough with the heater and then my room got to the right temperature as the day warmed up so I took it out.

My 10 Gallon was donated to a school and is being used there to house another Betta. They did not want the heater.

CindiL

I don't think you need to take it out. Once it reaches the temp you set it on, it will shut off. If you take it out, then at night when it needs to be on, it won't be.

I always used a 50w in my 3g, in my 5 gallon and now in my 10g. Mine is an aqueon also.

lbonini1

I don't think you need to take it out. Once it reaches the temp you set it on, it will shut off. If you take it out, then at night when it needs to be on, it won't be.

I always used a 50w in my 3g, in my 5 gallon and now in my 10g. Mine is an aqueon also.[/QUOTE\]

I took it out because my room stayed warm all night and the rest of the day luckily and I'd rather have peace of mind and not worry about it sticking on...

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Leoriosbestie29
  • Heater
Replies
Views
Leoriosbestie29
Replies
Views
Isalie
Replies
Views
kc27