Should I Upgrade To Medium Lightning?

1. R

Rack Valued Member Member

I have Amazon swords and bacopa caroliniana, I may get some some anubias and cryptos or java fern.
    I currently have a 20 watt CFL bulb 6500k, I don't know if this is enough, the plants seem to be doing fine, but hardly growing, well I only had them for 2 weeks now.

Should I upgrade to medium lighting? Or this cfl is enough?

I have access to T8's , Leds or Cfl bulbs, I don't know what medium lighting is. My tank is 15 gallon.

2. OP
    OP
    R

3. TwoHedWlf

TwoHedWlf Well Known Member Member

I'd advise keeping all lightning away from your tank. It tends to kill everything, damage your electronics and it's REALLY loud.

Now, as for the lighting in your tank, 20 watts is probably a fairly reasonable amount of light in a tank that small. LEDs would be better, but if you're just swapping the current bulb, it's probably not worth the trouble.

4. OP
    OP
    R

So this cfl bulb is enough? As far as I know, the WPG rule is outdated and is only calibrated/works for T8 fixtures, so I'm not sure if it also applies for CFL bulbs. Sorry about that typo lol stupid autocorrect.

If I decide to go with LEDS, how can I tell what is a "medium lighting" ? 7500k ?

5. TwoHedWlf

TwoHedWlf Well Known Member Member

7500k is just the color, ignore that for now. There's no official "Medium" light, But I'd say if you put another 20 watts over the tank you'd be solidly into the medium light range, if you have a good reflector so have the light isn't being wasted going upwards.