Should I upgrade my tank now? Question

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by gef21, Mar 20, 2010.

1. gef21

gef21 Valued Member Member

ok so currently I have a 10 gallon tank going with tetras cories and a gourami in it. I have been given a 38 and 29 gallon tank. I plan to set up one of the larger tanks transfer my fish over and take my 10 gallon to my 7th grade classroom.

My problem is that I am going to be moving in august (same town not far away).

I know that I will have to drain almost all the water out (leave just enough to cover the substrate) put the fish and the water in large covered buckets and move the entire operation.

2. Jaysee

Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

August is a long ways away.....moving tanks, especially ones under 55 gallons, is not difficult and should not prohibit you from growing in the hobby from now till then.

If your moving within the same town, then the water is most likely the same in which case transporting the water is not needed. The only water you'll need to bring with you is the water in the bucket the fish are in.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2010
  3. MindTravel3r

MindTravel3r Valued Member Member

I agree, moving a 29 or 38 wouldn't be too bad. However, if you have the luxury of a couple of days in both locations, it is not a bad idea to plan the tank move on a separate day from the main move. It is a bit of pain if you have an aquarium setup standing between you and the setup of your bed that night...

4. Jaysee

Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

I agree 1000%. When I moved last month, the tanks were the last things to go.

5. OP
    OP
    gef21

thank you very much guys. This has def inspired me to move forward with the 38 gallon tank.

6. m

michael68 Valued Member Member

When i had an 80 gallon tank and moved;I moved myself and family on a saturday and moved the tank,fish and a few buckets of water the next day.Sometimes you dont have that option.When you move keep your filter media in a bucket of tank water.

7. x

xxSTEPHENSxx Valued Member Member

X2

8. OP
    OP
    gef21

ok so here is a question. Should I take the the cartridge out of my filter from my 10 gallon tank and use it on a filter I am getting for the 38 gallon tank? Would that then transfer over good bacteria to the new tank?

9. A

AlyeskaGirl Fishlore VIP Member

If you have room on the new tank to run both filters I would do it that way and take all the decorations and move them over too. If you want to use differ gravel or whaterver your plan is, you can take some of the old gravel and put in mesh bags or nylon stockings (new ones) and put in new filter. :)

I am planning on doing a big move myself next month. I got it all planned out..

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice