Should I try my luck again?

1. AtomicMudkip Member Member

Hello all,
    Some of you may have read my posts on my problems with my halfmoon betta. Unfortunately he died almost a week ago from dropsy which developed from severe bloat. I currently have some baby mollies in my 4 gallon, which are staying in there for about a week until I give them to my LFS. Then, I will have an empty tank to play with. I know not much except a betta can go in a 4 gallon, but I was looking at Killi fish and they seemed to be quite pretty and still not require a big tank. However, something is drawing me back to bettas. I love the look of dumbo bettas (the one with the huge fins) and was considering them, but this time I was wondering how to do it right. I will not be feeding him pellets or flakes, purely on frozen bloodworms. I know you will say "They should only be treats" but my Biology teacher has a dumbo betta in a 6.6g tank and feeds it purely on bloodworms and it is very healthy, strong colours, active, and it has no signs of bloat or constipation. I have a lot of frozen bloodworms so I will be in no short supply. I will also have some frozen/live/freeze-dried daphnia and brine shrimp to mix it up a little. Is there anything else I need to know? I don't mind if you reiterate points every betta owner knows as I did a lot of reading but sometimes info from the experts is the best source. There will probably be a few ghost shrimp in there (1-3) and a kuhli loach (My other tank is being treated and is brackish atm). it is reasonably planted and is fully cycled. Also, if anyone knows a good place to find dumbo bettas in the UK that would be great. Aquaticstoyourdoor.co.uk doesn't stock them and the delivery is v expensive, I would rather not go online but then again, I'd rather not get them from somewhere like P@H. I live in the south-east (bit north of London) so nowhere too far from there.
    Thanks,
    ~Mudkipz

2. codyrex97 Well Known Member Member

Well the kuhli is definitely out of place in the 4 gallon, but I understand there's not much you can do about that. I too really like dumbo Betta. My own Betta is a simple petco King Betta, similar to Plakat but beefier. After all I've read about fin rot and stuff I'm kinda scared to get any large fin Betta :c my little guy never has problems with his fins or his energy because they don't weigh him down. But if I did get one I'd probably get a dumbo like you're thinking. Besides the kuhli, I think it's a good idea. I'd recommend Amano shrimp over ghost shrimp personally, but that's just my preference. You won't be getting any babies in your tank with Amano shrimp as their babies need brackish water, which could be good because in such a small tank you don't want an explosion of shrimp haha. I also enjoy the Amano shrimp visually more than ghosties. Just a thought.

3. Grimund Well Known Member Member

codyrex97 -he had mentioned killifish, not kuhli loaches. Killifish are quite fine for nano tanks as well as scarlet badis, though they seem very uncommon at fish and pet stores

4. oldsalt777 Well Known Member Member

Hello Ato...

Unless you have room for a larger tank, I'd look for another hobby. Small tanks are no place for fish of any kind. The water can't be kept clean enough for them and there's no room for them to move around.

Give yourself the best chance for success and get at least a 20 gallon (80 liter) or larger.

Old

5. AtomicMudkip Member Member

Thanks for your responses, yeah the kuhli loach will be going back in my tropical tank after its finished medicating and I hope to get some more buddies for him sometime soon. I wanted ghosts because they are 5p each at my LFS and amano are £4.99 each! My LFS does stock breeding pairs of killifish but they are annual and I do prefer bettas as they have more of a personality to other tropical fish. I read that the baby ghost shrimp die in freshwater as they need slightly saline water. Old, I am guessing you didn't mean to be rude but I have put a lot of effort, money and time into my tanks and only recently have I reached a kind of serenity in all my tanks. By saying I should find a new hobby just because I wanted to put a betta in a 4g tank was a bit rude as it is heated and filtered and has floating plants as well as places to hide and a betta hammock. I do have a successful 20 gallon tropical community tank and a 40 gallon goldfish tank. I do 50% water changes every week and the betta died because it came bloated and I thought I could treat it. My parameters are stable and have been as my tank is normally understocked, it is just whilst my fry were growing a little bigger for transport. A tabk as big as a 20 gallon is not neccessary. It may be better for the fish, but it isn't neccessary. I felt offended by your message as I take the best care possible of my fish and I don't appreciate people telling me that I am incapable of caring for a fish's needs. There is plenty of room for the fish to move around as the plants tend to fill the bottom area of the tank and leave a large area of swimming space for the fish.
    ~Mudkipz

6. TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

Please don't feed bloodworms as the sole diet. That's not a good staple food. Pellets and other frozen foods are very good, and bloodworms should be a part of this diet. Just because your biology teacher does it, doesn't meant it's the best way (it's really not).

There is nothing wrong with keeping a 4 gal tank as long as it's stocked appopriately. Please don't discourage people from smaller tanks! Smaller tanks can be cycled and kept clean.

Ghost shrimp do not need brackish or salt water to breed. Shrimplets don't usually survive in community tanks because the shrimplets can't swim and are easy targets for eating.

I think a dumbo betta would be perfect for your 4 gal tank. I especially love the purple and white dumbos.

Check aquabid - there may be some sellers in the UK.

7. Grimund Well Known Member Member

That's quite rude. Not everyone has space for a larger tank and are content in managing a smaller volume. Telling someone to quit a hobby because they can't afford something is very off putting and makes the rest of the hobbyists look like jerks

I disagree. Small tanks just require a little more attention to keep straight. I keep two healthy, 2.5 gallon tanks. I just tend to do 60-70% water changes every week to be sure.

On top of that, fish don't belong in any artificial ecosystem inside a glass box, but a natural one in their own tributaries.

8. AtomicMudkip Member Member

Thanks, TexasDomer I realise now maybe I should do a more staple diet of pellets, but I will remember to soak them first! I don't mind shrimplets if they do breed, I will feed the babies to my gold fish if I run out of room! I will check Aquabid again, see if they do any of them but if not, I will ask around some pet stores near me.
    Thanks,
    ~Mudkipz

TexasDomer
    I have looked on Aquabid but still can't find one from the UK. Is there any other online fish stores that stock specific types of bettas and is in the UK?
    ~Mudkipz

9. TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

Sorry, I'm in the US and don't know anything about where to find fish in the UK. Maybe you could connect with some local hobbyists and fish clubs and ask around?

10. Grimund Well Known Member Member

Coradee may be able to help. I believe I've seen CindiL mention her for UK assistance before

11. Coradee Moderator Moderator Member

I don't know of anywhere that particularly stocks dumbo Bettas, you could look for a local fish club as they'd be the people with the best knowledge of what's available locally.
    For buying online I'd suggest giving Pier aquatics in Wigan a call, they may be able to get one for you.
    One of my Lfs Xingu aquatics in Southport gets some beauties in from time to time & will post so again may be worth a phone call.
    Good luck & don't forget pics if you manage to get one :)

12. Grimund Well Known Member Member

I second the picture posts! Thanks, Coradee. Didn't quite know who else to call in.