15 Gallon Tank Should I try betta again?

bermese2002

So I'm almost certain the answer to this will be a resounding yes, but I thought I'd ask anyway :p

Should I try a betta again?

I had one towards the end of 2016 but it all ended in disaster! I got my boy from a breeder on ebay, he was beautiful. Unfortunately I can't find any decent pictures of him, but here is the set up I had for him, and one of the pictures I could find:

DSC_0776.JPG

DSC_1232.jpg

He always seemed a bit weak to be honest, like his fins were too big for him, and he just got weaker and weaker. He lasted for almost a year, but I never got any pleasure from seeing him because he just sat at the bottom of the tank listlessly. I had to feed him with a dropper so I could direct the food to his mouth.

Anyway, all of this served to put me off bettas for a long time, at least long finned ones. Do you think it was just bad breeding?

I saw a beautiful short finned betta at an LFS recently and now I can't get the idea out of my head.

I've been thinking about getting a fluval flex 15g, getting it nice and planted up first, get a good colony of red cherry shrimp going, and then add a betta. But I'm nervous - did I do something wrong last time? Should I try again?

This is the betta that has spurred the interest this time around - he won't be available anymore but still (photo curtesy of Paws for Thought):

182903447_10159479602869123_3009465774308632402_n.jpg

Humz26

Definitely u should try it again ! I had similar experience with these beautifully long finned Betta fish…. They struggle swimming. Keep an eye on how fast the flow of your tank filter is coz it could be too strong if the last betta was always sitting.

Upvote 0

bermese2002

Definitely u should try it again ! I had similar experience with these beautifully long finned Betta fish…. They struggle swimming. Keep an eye on how fast the flow of your tank filter is coz it could be too strong if the last betta was always sitting.

I don't have that tank anymore, I ended up getting rid of it a coupe of years ago after the betta experience. But it just hand a sponge filter in it. It might have been the flow I suppose - but I'm leery of reducing flow anymore than that because I worry about how it will affect the water quality. There really was barely a flow in that tank.

The Fluval flex 15g has a built in filter, but I've heard it might be a bit strong for a betta. Would this still be true of a short finned betta?

I'm sure there's a way to slow down the flow somewhat though, if it was a problem.

This isn't an imminent project unfortunately. We're expecting our second son in a few months, so I want to get back into a routine following his arrival before I get another fish tank to maintain.

Upvote 0

StarGirl

That is one pretty Betta!

Upvote 0

Humz26

I don't have that tank anymore, I ended up getting rid of it a coupe of years ago after the betta experience. But it just hand a sponge filter in it. It might have been the flow I suppose - but I'm leery of reducing flow anymore than that because I worry about how it will affect the water quality. There really was barely a flow in that tank.

The Fluval flex 15g has a built in filter, but I've heard it might be a bit strong for a betta. Would this still be true of a short finned betta?

I'm sure there's a way to slow down the flow somewhat though, if it was a problem.

This isn't an imminent project unfortunately. We're expecting our second son in a few months, so I want to get back into a routine following his arrival before I get another fish tank to maintain.
Aaaaah ok, if the fluval flex filter might be too strong, 'Girl talks fish' did a video on how to reduce flow. She showed about 5 or 6 diff ways u can do that. Your best bet is once u get the betta fish, see how it copes with the flow and if its struggling to keep with the flow or getting pushed around, use one of her methods to help with that.

Hope everything goes well, Congratulations and all the best to ur growing family and hope u get ur fish soon!

Upvote 0

bermese2002

That is one pretty Betta!

The one in the shop, I know! Gorgeous in person as well
Aaaaah ok, if the fluval flex filter might be too strong, 'Girl talks fish' did a video on how to reduce flow. She showed about 5 or 6 diff ways u can do that. Your best bet is once u get the betta fish, see how it copes with the flow and if its struggling to keep with the flow or getting pushed around, use one of her methods to help with that.

Hope everything goes well, Congratulations and all the best to ur growing family and hope u get ur fish soon!

Thanks :) I'm holding out hope of a nice Christmas present :p

Upvote 0

StarGirl

I have a Flex 9 with my female betta in it. It is too strong for her so I baffled it. The Flex 15 I was told had the same size pump as the 9? So it would be less powerful. I got some of those pre filter sponges for the small filter intakes and improvised and it works great. I take them off to circulate and you can tell shes getting some exercise.

Upvote 0

bermese2002

I have a Flex 9 with my female betta in it. It is too strong for her so I baffled it. The Flex 15 I was told had the same size pump as the 9? So it would be less powerful. I got some of those pre filter sponges for the small filter intakes and improvised and it works great. I take them off to circulate and you can tell shes getting some exercise.

oh that’s good to know! Thanks for sharing :)

Odd that they have the same size pump for the 15 as the 9, do you reckon it’s enough filtration?

Upvote 0

StarGirl

I believe Dunk2 has the 15g. I can tell you how I modded the baffle sponges if you want.

Upvote 0

Dunk2

I believe Dunk2 has the 15g. I can tell you how I modded the baffle sponges if you want.

I’m not positive, but I‘m pretty sure the pumps on the 9 and 15 Flex are different. The part # on the 9 is WP500 and the 15 is WP1500.

I’ve also baffled the flow (with help from StarGirl ) on my 15 so it didn‘t blow my Ram fry around.

Upvote 0

bermese2002

Yes please, that would be great! If you have any pictures as well, that would be amazing :) Thank you!
I’m not positive, but I‘m pretty sure the pumps on the 9 and 15 Flex are different. The part # on the 9 is WP500 and the 15 is WP1500.

I’ve also baffled the flow (with help from StarGirl ) on my 15 so it didn‘t blow my Ram fry around.

Thanks for confirming :)

Upvote 0

nanoist

Definitely try again! It does sound like perhaps there may have been something wrong with your previous betta. I have a halfmoon and he’s very active and constantly fluttering around his 5.5G. They aren’t the best swimmers, but longfins are also not doomed to just being completely motionless and boring in the tank. I think longfins get a bad rep because people often analyze their behavior based off the historically poor conditions they’ve been kept in. Any fish would behave poorly in an non-ideal environment. (Although rosetails are just not a good idea at all). However, I think a plakat (short fin) or female could be worth a shot for you. They look cool and tend to come in fancy colors. They also have the added benefit of fin rot and fin damage becoming less of a concern. Good luck!

Upvote 0

CoconutTheBetta

So I'm almost certain the answer to this will be a resounding yes, but I thought I'd ask anyway :p

I had one towards the end of 2016 but it all ended in disaster! I got my boy from a breeder on ebay, he was beautiful. Unfortunately I can't find any decent pictures of him, but here is the set up I had for him, and one of the pictures I could find:

DSC_0776.JPG

DSC_1232.jpg

He always seemed a bit weak to be honest, like his fins were too big for him, and he just got weaker and weaker. He lasted for almost a year, but I never got any pleasure from seeing him because he just sat at the bottom of the tank listlessly. I had to feed him with a dropper so I could direct the food to his mouth.

Anyway, all of this served to put me off bettas for a long time, at least long finned ones. Do you think it was just bad breeding?

I saw a beautiful short finned betta at an LFS recently and now I can't get the idea out of my head.

I've been thinking about getting a fluval flex 15g, getting it nice and planted up first, get a good colony of red cherry shrimp going, and then add a betta. But I'm nervous - did I do something wrong last time? Should I try again?

This is the betta that has spurred the interest this time around - he won't be available anymore but still (photo curtesy of Paws for Thought):

YES you should! Use your past experiences to make better choices in the future!

Upvote 0

bermese2002

YES you should! Use your past experiences to make better choices in the future!
This is the thing though, I don’t know what I did wrong last time. Unless it was simply my choice of betta
Definitely try again! It does sound like perhaps there may have been something wrong with your previous betta. I have a halfmoon and he’s very active and constantly fluttering around his 5.5G. They aren’t the best swimmers, but longfins are also not doomed to just being completely motionless and boring in the tank. I think longfins get a bad rep because people often analyze their behavior based off the historically poor conditions they’ve been kept in. Any fish would behave poorly in an non-ideal environment. (Although rosetails are just not a good idea at all). However, I think a plakat (short fin) or female could be worth a shot for you. They look cool and tend to come in fancy colors. They also have the added benefit of fin rot and fin damage becoming less of a concern. Good luck!
I think I’ll go for a plakat next time. They just appeal to me more now than the long finned once. And, as you said, less of a concern surrounding fin rot.

I’m also hoping a plakat would do better in a miniature community tank in a 15g - with red cherry shrimp and maybe galaxy rasbora or similar

Upvote 0

CoconutTheBetta

This is the thing though, I don’t know what I did wrong last time. Unless it was simply my choice of betta
I don't think your care was wrong. I think it had to do with the betta's poor genetics.

Upvote 0

bermese2002

I don't think your care was wrong. I think it had to do with the betta's poor genetics.
Ah I see what you mean. That’s what I’m thinking as well. It’s not like he arrived healthy and active and went downhill, he was lethargic and uncoordinated from the start.

Serves me right for ordering him online I guess

Upvote 0

nanoist

I think I’ll go for a plakat next time. They just appeal to me more now than the long finned once. And, as you said, less of a concern surrounding fin rot.

I’m also hoping a plakat would do better in a miniature community tank in a 15g - with red cherry shrimp and maybe galaxy rasbora or similar
Plakats are great. I plan on getting one soon for a nano live planted tank I’ve had running/cycling. Halfmoon plakats also have the added 180 degree fan fin just at a tinier size. Makes them look rather majestic and beefy lol. They do say plakats are more active and quick bc the fin isn’t weighing them down. So you might be good. Sounds like a colorful stock. I see your vision!

Upvote 0

CoconutTheBetta

Ah I see what you mean. That’s what I’m thinking as well. It’s not like he arrived healthy and active and went downhill, he was lethargic and uncoordinated from the start.

Serves me right for ordering him online I guess
No, it didn't serve you right. None of what happened is your fault. It's the sellers. They made the decision to sell you a poorly bred fish.

Lots of people order fish online. Most experiences are good but some are bad.

You shouldn't allow the seller's dishonestly to make yourself insecure about raising a certain type of fish. :)

Upvote 0

bermese2002

Plakats are great. I plan on getting one soon for a nano live planted tank I’ve had running/cycling. Halfmoon plakats also have the added 180 degree fan fin just at a tinier size. Makes them look rather majestic and beefy lol. They do say plakats are more active and quick bc the fin isn’t weighing them down. So you might be good. Sounds like a colorful stock. I see your vision!

Thanks, hopefully it'll work out better this time. My plan is to be a bit more patient, get the plants established and the red cherry shrimp so there's a good colony in there. Then I'll add the galaxy rasbora and finally the betta.

Easier said than done, because I'm typically impatient when it comes to stocking a tank, but I think the results will be so worth it
No, it didn't serve you right. None of what happened is your fault. It's the sellers. They made the decision to sell you a poorly bred fish.

Lots of people order fish online. Most experiences are good but some are bad.

You shouldn't allow the seller's dishonestly to make yourself insecure about raising a certain type of fish. :)
Thanks, it's hard to not be put off certain fish when you've had a bad experience with them though isn't it.

There's a reason I always come back to the same fish time after time, I know what works for me, and I'm nervous to take that chance when a lot of fish can be expensive too

Upvote 0

Riot Girl

DSC_0776.JPG

DSC_1232.jpg

I say get another betta! I suggest to get a betta plakat. I know that betta plakat doesn't have the beautiful long fins but it's a whole lot nicer to see your fish swimming happily without the weight and struggle of long Finnage, and when they get older it's not hard on their spine, where as the long finned bettas get this hump look as they get older. I think that may be a betta plakat in your picture.

Upvote 0

bermese2002

I say get another betta! I suggest to get a betta plakat. I know that betta plakat doesn't have the beautiful long fins but it's a whole lot nicer to see your fish swimming happily without the weight and struggle of long Finnage, and when they get older it's not hard on their spine, where as the long finned bettas get this hump look as they get older. I think that may be a betta plakat in your picture.
Thanks :) that seems like the consensus really. I think the plakat bettas look more natural anyway, and you can still get all those colours!

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
FoldedCheese
Replies
Views
devsi
  • Question
Replies
Views