Should I Treat For Camallanus Worms? Or Am I Paranoid?

12Cin12

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Hi everyone!
I was just cruising around the forums and I saw a discussion about camallanus worms and Bolivian rams. **Panic***
I have two female rams in quarantine. I've had them about two weeks. They are eating well in a heated 29 gallon quarantine tank. They appear healthy. I'd planned on introducing them to my male ram in my 75 Gallon soon.

HOWEVER, after reading these forums, I remember that saw a small white wormy-something twisting and turning in the water. Is this the dreaded camallanus worm? I squashed it and didn't think another thing about it. Should I treat the tank??

loner556

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I'm guessing what you saw may have been a detritus worm. If it was a detritus worm, it's harmless.

Camallanus are redish color and typically do not get expelled from the host except during treatment. The meds kill or paralize the worms allowing the fish to pass them

ETA: I personally am going to start worming all my fish in quarantine before moving them. The problem with camallanus worms is you can have an infected fish and not see symptoms for months.

Last edited:

12Cin12

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I'm guessing what you saw may have been a detritus worm. If it was a detritus worm, it's harmless.

Camallanus are redish color and typically do not get expelled from the host except during treatment. The meds kill or paralize the worms allowing the fish to pass them

ETA: I personally am going to start worming all my fish in quarantine before moving them. The problem with camallanus worms is you can have an infected fish and not see symptoms for months.
Hmmm... that is probably a good idea. When I had a little tank, the loss of fish would have been a minor tragedy. But now that I've got a big 75, the loss of could be in the hundreds of dollars.
Thank you for setting my mind at ease, though. No hurry, but I think I will treat my female Bolivians before they leave quarantine.

angelcraze

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Agree with @loner556, callamanus evaded my 6 month QT. I didn't notice they were even in my tank until 2.5 years later when I lost my first fish to emaciation. It's just too easy to miss them in QT and treating multiple tanks is a real PITA. Plus those nasties took out 7 of my beloved cichilds and lots of tetras before I finished treating. I want to protect my current stock as much as possible and to not have to treat them all ever again.

Now I deworm in QT ALL my new fish. Especially cichlids (and if I kept them livebearers and laborinth fish).

I lace their food with Fenbendazole and feed it twice two weeks apart for 3 days straight. I use 1/8 tsp of Fishbendazole powder to 2 tbs of Repashy gel food powder and make it up. I add a few drops of garlic juice to the mix to desguise bad tastes and improve pallet and Epsom Salts to act as a laxative to help the fish expel any worms they might have.

For other intestinal nasties, I dose PraziPro and keep it in the tank for 7 days. Then I'm pretty confident I've got them all. The only thing I can think to watch for is Hexamita. But since I've already been bitten by callamanus, I def treat against that.

!poogs!

Valued Member
Reaction score
Yup. Been there. Had it hit one of my bigger tanks. It was a disaster. Lost some beautiful fish.

Now in a quarantine tank every fish is fed this before they make it to the main tank. It’s laced with levamisole.

IMG_3650.JPG

I also keep powdered levamisole on hand all the time if I have to treat a tank.

12Cin12

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Thank you for this info- You all have been very helpful!

JenC

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Just want to add that the fish I just bought on Wednesday have camallanus worms. Paranoid or not, proactively treating for them will be a part of my QT routine going forward. I'd always just dosed Prazipro but I'll be modifying the prophylactic treatments to cover this in the future.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom