Should I Transfer My Female To Another Tank?

Lxliee

Hello,
I have two platy fish, one female, and a male. The female is currently pregnant, she has been hanging out toward the bottom of the tank, hiding, and pooping thick. This will be the first time she gives birth since I've gotten the fish (about 3-4 months ago). The male chases her around the tank, and I don't know why. I can't tell if it's aggressive or just playing, but I am not sure if I should transfer my female to another tank since she is constantly trying to hide from Boba (the male). There are no other fish in the tank and it is a 10-gallon one, but we are considering getting more platies. Should I go buy a new tank for my female to give birth?
Thank you!

BigManAquatics

Well, 2 more females would be a good thing to give him someone else to chase, for sure.

Upvote 0

LHAquatics

With livebearers, 2 females per 1 male ratio is key. For better results, 3 females per 1 male.

Upvote 0

ProudPapa

As the others said, getting one or two more females should spread his attention out. Regarding your question about moving her, I'd think it would be better to move him instead, at least until you get the other females.

Upvote 0

Noroomforshoe

The male is trying to mate with her, he always will, day and night, he doesn't know that she is already prego, he just knows that his instincts are telling him to mate. It is important to have more female livebearers than males. so that the male doesn't exhaust one fish.
Ideally, if you could put the female in a separate tank that would be great. she needs as much stress relief as possible.

Upvote 0

kansas

If you keep female livebearers, you need a plan for the fry that you'll have. Some people hope the parents eat them, but if they don't you'll need a plan.

Upvote 0

ProudPapa

Ideally, if you could put the female in a separate tank that would be great. she needs as much stress relief as possible.

Do you mind if I ask why you're recommending moving the female instead of the male? Won't moving her increase the stress?

Upvote 0

Noroomforshoe

Sorry, this is late, but,
I meant to say, if the female was in a separate tank than the male, her situation would be better.

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
ProudPapa
Replies
Views
emeraldking
  • Question
  • adorbezfairy
  • Platy
Replies