Should I stop using tetra min?

Discussion in 'Fish Food' started by guster730, Jan 4, 2013.

1. guster730

guster730Valued MemberMember

I've been feeding tetramin since I got these fish back in march 2012, but now I've been hearing that it's not all that healthy, and that pellets are generally better than flakes. Although I don't think I could switch to pellets due to my fish being used to eating off the top, is there any better food I should use?

2. Akari_32

Akari_32Fishlore LegendMember

There are tons better foods. Look into New Life Spectrum. It's one of the best foods available to buy in stores. You fish will learn to eat the pellets before they sink or eat them off the bottom. It's not in a healthy animals nature to starve itself out of stupidity :;th

3. OP
    OP
    guster730

Are the pellets small enough for smaller fish like black neons?

4. Akari_32

They make all sizes! You should be able to find something that works for you :)

5. AmazonPassion

AmazonPassionModeratorModerator Member

I don't think you should feeding tetra min, variety is the key though. You can start alternating with NLS pellets. I think the size you want is .5mm for your black neons.

6. OP
    OP
    guster730

Would the small pellets be fine for larger fish too? I have some larger fish like angels as well. I saw NLS flakes on amazon, what about those?

7. Akari_32

I use the large fish pellets for everyone but the bettas. Some of my fish are smaller than Neon Tetras. The larger pellets soften up quickly, so even small fish can nibble on them.

8. AmazonPassion

I have both Angels and Neons in my tank and I use NLS Thera A+ Medium Fish Formula. Both fish have no problem eating. The Neons just nibble at it until it breaks down and the Angels swallow it whole.

9. OP
    OP
    guster730

Do you use the Thera A 1mm or .5? Just noticed you said medium which seems to be 2mm I'll probably just go with the thera a 1mm as it's on drfostersmith and I'm ordering some other stuff from them later today. Thanks guys.

10. AmazonPassion

The one I have is 2mm

11. wierdoinabowl3498Valued MemberMember

do they make any food for fry? if its really good food then i would like to feed it to my fry.

12. OP
    OP
    guster730

You could get the flakes and crush them into basically dust. That's what I did with tetramin with my fry. Anyway I ordered the 1mm Thera + A.

13. Jaysee

JayseeFishlore LegendMember

Yes they make fry food as well. I would not raise fry with tetramin.... In my opinion it's not worth the jar it's sold in.
    The fish will learn to eat from the bottom. The 1 mm is good - it's what I feed the small fish community. And, you can crush the pellets for fry if you don't want to get their growth formula.

14. Helmsdeep

HelmsdeepValued MemberMember

So what specifically is wrong with Tetramin? Is it the incredients that they use? Is it that fish don't do well in general with Tetramin? Does it cause intestinal problems? Just curious.

15. Jaysee

It's junk food for fish - low quality ingredients make for a low quality food, and a diet of low quality food leads to a lower quality fish. As a general rule, cheap things aren't good and good things aren't cheap.

I feed thera A exclusively, but I know many people like to feed a variety of foods, which is okay so long as you are not feeding variety for varieties sake - which is what I think continuing to feed the tetramin is. It's one thing to feed a variety of high quality foods, but there's just no need to feed junk like tetramin in favor of a superior food like NLS. There just isn't anything in it that isn't in the NLS, and in higher quality.

16. OP
    OP
    guster730

I actually meant crushing the NLS flakes, but yeah you probably could just crush the pellets. I've never fed them frozen foods such as bloodworms, only freeze dried stuff. I may try some frozen foods along with the NLS thera a

17. matsungit

matsungitWell Known MemberMember

Is Aqueon Flakes just as bad as Tetra Min? I've been using it for years now and I don't seem to have any problems with fish color. I tried NLS food (not the Thera A) and they didn't like it and some even spat it back out. The food just stayed at the bottom and melted away.

Here's the Aqueon ingredients:
    Whole Fish Meal (Whole salmon, herring & other mixed fishes), Whole Wheat Flour, Soybean Meal, Whole Dried Krill, Wheat Gluten Meal, Dried Yeast, Squid Meal, Kelp Meal, Wheat Germ, Fish Oil, Corn Gluten Meal, Spirulina, Garlic, Natural Astaxanthin, Marigold Powder, Chili Powder, Spinach, Choline Chloride, Calcium Propionate (a preservative), L-ascorbyl-2-polyphosphate (source of vitamin C), Vitamin A Acetate, Cholecalciferol (source of vitamin D3), Riboflavin Supplement, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Niacin, Menadione Sodium Bisulphite Complex (source of vitamin K activity), Folic acid, Thiamine, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride (B6), Calcium Pantothenate, Biotin, DL-Alphatocopherol (E), Manganese Sulfate, Cobalt Sulfate, Ferrous Sulfate, Copper Sulfate

18. Jaysee

Yes, that can happen. Try switching a kid from junk food to healthy food - they don't take to it instantly :) Often a couple days of fasting will get them devouring the NLS.

The fact that they use whole fish meal rather than just "fish meal" makes it much better than the tetramin

Here's tetramin's ingredients

Ingredients:
    Fish meal, dried yeast, ground brown rice, shrimp meal, wheat gluten, feeding oat meal, fish oil, potato protein, dehulled soybean meal, soybean oil, algae meal, sorbitol, lecithin, monobasic calcium phosphate, ascorbic acid (source of Vitamin C), yeast extract, inositol, niacin, L-ascorbyl-2-polyphosphate, riboflavin-5-phosphate (source of Vitamin B2), A-tocopherol-acetate (source of Vitamin E), D-calcium pantothenate, thiamine mononitrate (source of Vitamin B1), pyridoxine hydrochloride (source of Vitamin B6), Vitamin A palmitate (source of Vitamin A), menadione sodium bisulfite complex (source of Vitamin K), biotin, cyanocobalamin (source of Vitamin B12), choleocalciferol (source of Vitamin D3), manganese sulfate monohydrate, zinc sulfate monohydrate, ferrous sulfate monohydrate, cobalt nitrate hexahydrate. Color includes: Beta-carotene, bixin, Blue No. 2 Lake, oleoresin (capsanthin and capsorubin) Red No. 3 dye, Yellow No. 5 lake, Yellow No. 6 Lake. Ethoxyquin as a preservative..

Here's the top 10 ingredients (bolded above) of Thera A

whole antarctic krill meal, whole herring meal, wheat flour, whole squid meal, algae meal, garlic, soybean, beta carrotine, spirulina, vegetable and fruit extract (spinich, red and green cabbage, pea, broccoli, zuchini, tomato, red bell pepper, kiwi, apricot, pear, mango, apple, papaya, peach)

19. matsungit

matsungitWell Known MemberMember

Yeah it seems close but not as bad. I really want to switch to NLS. Maybe 3mm is too big. I'll buy a 1mm and try if the problem is the size. And I'll wait till my LFS restocks Thera-A. I'd like to try that. It's good as a staple right even though my LFS guy says it's for sick fish?

20. Jaysee

I haven't fed my fish anything but NLS in 3 years.

I have 3 mm pellets but don't feed them. The small fish community tank gets 1 mm, and the medium AND large fish communities get 1 and 2 mm.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice