Should I Stop The Quarantine Period?

1. Z

Z123Killer Well Known Member Member

I had 10 neon tetras and an endler/feeder guppy in qt for 13 days. I woke up today and found that one of the neon tetras is dead. I think it might have been stress because I do everyday water changes to keep the ammonia down, but I am still not sure what the cause was...

Today I will be doing a %75 WC to my main aquarium and add the second dose Prazi Pro because the fish in there have internal parasites, should I transfer the Neons already? I don't want more of them to die...

What do you think @AllieSten @AngelTheGypsy

2. aquatickeeper

aquatickeeper Fishlore VIP Member

I would continue quarantiing them.

3. AngelTheGypsy

AngelTheGypsy Fishlore VIP Member

Do you have any indication that the fish was sick? What were the water tests after the death? Are any of the remaining fish showing any symptoms whatsoever?

4. OP
    OP
    Z

No, I thought that they were all healthy. At first, I thought it was the one with the super red gills, but he is alive. And I don't know what kind of symptoms I should be looking for, 1. one of them has red gills, 2. They are opening and closing their mouths fast, I am not sure what that means...

5. OP
    OP
    Z

@AngelTheGypsy
    I tested ammonia and nitrite yesterday right before a water change, ammonia was .25-.5 and Nitrite was 0
    And I tested for Nitrate today after fish died and it was 5-10

6. AngelTheGypsy

Are you running an airstone? Sounds kinda like a lack of oxygen. I qt for about a week, honestly, as long as I don't see any signs of illness. Many recommend longer qt time though.
    If the fish death seems to be related to stress, oxygen deficiency, ammonia or nitrite poisoning, there's no reason to extend the qt period. If any of them show signs of ich, fungus, white spots, etc, keep them in qt.

7. TwoHedWlf

TwoHedWlf Well Known Member Member

Throwing them in your main tank because of an unexplained death is the exact opposite if the whole point of a w tank.

I'd call it reason to start the quarantine period from scratch.

8. OP
    OP
    Z

@AngelTheGypsy I had an airline in the tank not an airstone, but that wouldn't make a difference correct?
    I don't see any signs of any of the things you stated, but, one of them has red gills, similar to this:
    http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=14317&d=1247020224
    Would that be some kind of disease?

9. OP
    OP
    Z

But won't they get even more stressed with everyday water changes which will cause even more deaths?

10. TwoHedWlf

TwoHedWlf Well Known Member Member

If the water changes are stressful you're doing it wrong. Water changes should not be stressful if you're changing it with good quality water, and the more frequent they are the less stressful.

11. AngelTheGypsy

Remember, neons are also pretty sensitive. So those levels of ammonia can be stressing them, and throwing them in your display tank will put a hitch in that cycle.

Be patient. Run a filter in the qt tank, even if not cycled. The airstone is for surface disturbance to create oxygen through gas exchange. If you're not running a filter, run an airstone and vice versa. Be patient. The purpose of qt is to make sure they are healthy. Healthy fish shouldn't die from stress from a water change. Make sure temp matches and be gentle with the water pouring, but be sure they are healthy before adding them to the main tank.

12. OP
    OP
    Z

@AngelTheGypsy @TwoHedWlf
    Ok, I will keep them in qt for now, should treat them with Prazi Pro tomorrow just as a preventative before going to the main tank?

13. JesseMoreira06

JesseMoreira06 Well Known Member Member

best to keep fish in QT tanks for atleast 3 to 4 weeks, water changes shouldn't be stressful for fish , slowly add back water to the tank don't just dump it in, and make sure it is de-clhorinated, what do you use as a de-clhorinator?

14. OP
    OP
    Z

Prime as de-chlorinator and to make ammonia less harmful.

15. JesseMoreira06

JesseMoreira06 Well Known Member Member

Neon Tetras are pretry sentive fish , sometimes don't fair well in hard water , how hard is your water ?

also might have just came from your LFS with a problem.

But I would keep them in the QT do daily large water changes dosing with prime to make ammonia and nitrItes up to 1ppm not toxic for 24-48 hours, and do this for atleast 3 weeks at the very minimum.

16. OP
    OP
    Z

I live in Arizona so I am pretty sure I have hard water, I haven't tested how hard though.
    So I decided to keep them in qt but do you think I should use Prazi Pro as a preventative in case they have something?