Should i stock anything else? 10 Gallon Tank

Discussion in 'Aquarium Stocking Questions' started by Ben3721, Aug 3, 2014.

1. B

Ben3721 Well Known Member Member

I have a clown pleco and a singapore flower filter feeding shrimp. But my tank isn't very active since both of them hide and only come out at night.
    So my question is what is something i can put in there without blowing the bio-load up? I had a dwarf gourami once but it dead for no reason and ive heard they have issues due to over breeding. Tank has been up for about a year and has been very stable for the last couple months. One day i plan to get a 15 gallon tank. I know most here will say that my tank already is overstocked, but so far my ammonia and nitrites are zero and nitrates are less then 5. (i use a nitrate reducer but try to keep some nitrates in the water for the live plants)
    You have to think i only feed my tank a tiny corner of a algae wafer or a pellet once a week. And the clown plecos waste and mostly wood. Im thinking maybe a few tiny fish or one that wont mind being alone. It must be non aggressive. If i add them and find my tank cant handle anymore bio load i will take them back. All comments are welcomed.

Tank specs:
    - 10 gallon tank with a 150 gph Top fin filter with extra bio media.
    - two airstones
    - full lid
    - 7.0 ph (very stable using buffers)
    - Semi-soft water
    - 77 F degrees
    - LED lighting
    - Gravel
    - Live plants and driftwood

2. Coradee

Coradee Moderator Moderator Member

If it was my tank I wouldn't add any more fish until you get your 15 gallon & even then it'll have to be stocked carefully, but if you do then go for something really small like chili rasboras
    Glad you have some wood for the plec but a tiny corner of an algae wafer once a week isn't enough food for it, give it some veg such as zucchini, green pepper, cucumber etc as well.
    Put the veg in in the evening & remove any that's uneaten in the morning

3. OP
    OP
    B

Okay thanks!

Any other super small fish i can consider?
    Also half the tank is slow moving water and half is mid current.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2014
  4. G

GuyCO Valued Member Member

Try 3 guppies 1 male 2 female. That might work. Theyre small and Active.

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

5. OP
    OP
    B

I will test my water for any ammonia to make sure its as low as possible then I plan to go to the fish store and ask them what's the smallest fish they have. Then just sit there on my phone researching possible fish. I have considered have ghost shrimp but my shy clown pleco might get stressed out with them crawling on him.

6. OP
    OP
    B

I have decided on not having ghost shrimp. Something about having 100 tiny shrimp in my tank and whenever i move a rock or vacuum gravel i end up killing a few bothers me. And the fact i have nowhere to move them when they overpopulate. Any other super tiny shoals of fish i can look into?

Or a single fish that wont mind being alone and wont kill everyone else?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice