Should I still use this heater?

That1FishKeeper

Ok this sounds pretty dumb but hear me out. I was doing a rescape on one of my tanks. I decided that I wanted to take out the aquarium heater so it wouldn’t be in the way. I unplugged it before taking it out, but immediately after I unplugged it, I brought the heater out of the water and it started smoking and was hot to the touch. I don’t think it was smoke though because it it didn’t smell. It was probably water vapor or something. The heater was hot to the touch so I put it back in the tank to cool it down before bringing it back out. It sounds really stupid but am I safe still using this heater. I’ve yet to see any visible cracks but I would really like a second opinion on it.

The_fishy

It should be okay if you didn’t see any cracks or discoloration, I did the same thing myself once. The smoking was just steam as the water touching it evaporated. I would just keep an eye on it and in the future, leave the heater in the water for a few minutes before taking it out.

kallililly1973

Keep a very close eye on your water temp. If a heater goes bad it can sometimes cool a tank and sometimes cook a tank. I would say next time unplug it and leave it in the tank just take it out of the suction cup holders and move it around.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
RayClem
  • WrenFeenix
  • Heater
Replies
Views
jaysurf7
Replies
Views
heybrittany