Should I start fishless cycle over?

Discussion in 'Aquarium Nitrogen Cycle' started by Amylali, Jul 23, 2015.

1. A

Amylali New Member Member

Hello! I am hoping this is the right place to post this!

Soo....I started my fish less cycle on Saturday July 5th. I have a 55 gal tank. Then the worst happened where we got evacuated out of town for 2 weeks and I could not test my water.
    Came home July 19th and water is cloudy. Ammonia is still at 4ppm (what I started with) No nitrites either. I did add dechlorinator when I set it up July 4th.
    My question is...did I ruin the cycle by leaving or should I wait it out? Why is it cloudy? Should it take this long or should I do a water change and start over?

Update: as of today Ammonia levels are still 4ppm. no Nitrites. I do have an air stone going and a heater.
    Thanks for all your help. I just can't wait to get fish!

2. Dom90

Dom90 Fishlore VIP Member

You have to start over as your cycle did not progress. What I would do is a 25% water change and leave it how it is. Get yourself a bottle of Seachem Stability and follow the instructions on the bottle and your cycle should proceed normally.

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

3. kidster9700

kidster9700 Well Known Member Member

I would also set up a filter. That will help it keep the cycle.

4. OP
    OP
    A

Oh yes I have a filter going as well.

5. kidster9700

kidster9700 Well Known Member Member

Oh okay, then water changes will help get things going. You might want to do something larger than 25% though, since it seems to have stalled. I would do like 75%.

6. OP
    OP
    A

Ok I will try that. Thank you!;)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice