Should I start an 80 gallon tank? Question

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by klogue2, Dec 23, 2012.

1. klogue2

klogue2 Valued Member Member

I'm considering starting a new tank. I'm just not sure if I'm ready for it yet.

What's making me want to start is the multiple tank syndrome :) I saw this add on CL for an 80g aquarium and stand, and I believe all the extras for $200! If it does come with the filters and everything, it's a deal i would hate to pass up. I'm asking the seller if anything besides the stand comes with the tank so we will see.

But what do you guys think? Do you think it's too big for a still beginner? I know large tanks are easier to maintain however the thought of such a big tank is a little scary (I'm a little timid in general as a person lol). Does it take a lot of time to care for such a large tank? I'm a high school student and have a job so I'm on a pretty full schedule, but I always make time to care for my pets (big animal lover here) so as long as it doesn't require hours of work every day I think I can handle it.

Edit: I also realize that a large tank like this will be expensive to set up depending on what I will need if/after I buy it. But I don't plan to do it all at once, I'll get the things I need in stride and when it's all ready I'll get the fish! That way I can cycle it as I go while getting the decor ready and whatever else I'll need, and by the time Ita finished cycling I should possibly have everything ready to go.

Last edited: Dec 23, 2012
  2. bankruptjojo

bankruptjojo Fishlore VIP Member

big tanks are much easier to take care of imo.

big tanks = a bigger responsibility. they are very hard to move and being you are in high school idk if its a good idea right now. i know when i was in high school i had no time for MTS. if you go to collage you will have to leave it behind. if you move its a lot harder to move a big tank. if you get bigger fish some can live for 10 years or more so its a long term commitment. you could always buy it and wait tell your ready.

that being said if you still want it, think you are ready then go for it.

it seems to me no matter if it come with everything you need or not that you will still end up spending a bunch of money to get it going. so have a few dollars saved if his heaters, filters, light bulbs, ect... dont work. not to mention the cost of the fish.

you are also going to want a water changer that hooks to your sink if you dont have one. you dont want to use buckets with a 90g.

let us know what you deiced and good luck!

3. Jaysee

Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

Something we see all the time, is someone goes away to college leaving mom and dad to care for the tank. But they don't. So, if you are going away after you graduate, you should take that into consideration. Dorms will usually allow a 10 or 20 gallon.

4. OP
    OP
    klogue2

Thanks guys! I will take these things into consideration.
    I don't plan to go to college until a couple years after I graduate for my own reasons, but in that time I should have my own apartment and preferably one that allows pets :) I know not many apartments would allow such a large tank though. Maybe it would be best if I looked at a smaller tank, or just stick with the ones I have :)

5. Jaysee

I've had absolutely no issue renting apartments with my tanks, and I've moved around quite a bit. IME, fish tanks are not considered pets - they are furniture. I am always up front when they ask if I have pets. I say I just have fish tanks. Not once has anyone asked how many or how big.

6. OP
    OP
    klogue2

Oh I see. That's interesting! Perhaps that part would be easier to figure out then.

I think ive decided to wait on the big tanks and just get another medium-ish sized tank. I saw a 35 gallon half-hexagon aquarium with a stand the other day on CL.

7. soarl

soarl Valued Member Member

I'd at least keep in mind the weight of such a large tank. 80 gal at 8lbs per gal...welll you can do that math. That's not taking into consideration your substrate, rocks and other decorations. I have a 75 gallon in my basement that is for a future project and I'm leary of just tossing it up where ever in my home. I'd hate to set it all up and come home one day to find the remnants of my fish, tank and floor all over my basement!

8. Jaysee

I think it's a good idea to wait until you are settled in somewhere to get the big tanks. Trust me, moving them is a HUGE pain....

A 75 gallon tank is not all that big. If you're floor cannot support that, then I would be very concerned about the structural integrity of the whole house.

I've not once seen a thread about someones tank falling through the floor or toppling over because of a support failure. I'm not saying it doesn't happen, but I've seen a lot of threads and this is a very active forum....

9. soarl

soarl Valued Member Member

Yeah....I guess your right...It's going to be less than 1000lbs even with rock, substrate and an added 20-30 gallon refugium. My couch outweighs that with my family sitting on it! lol

10. l

luke355027355027 Well Known Member Member

I have. 75 and a 160 gallon and trust me the bucket method is not fun. Last week i bought a sink changer and its the greatest thing ever. I use it to fill up two 30 gallon containers and then use the buckets to pour the water in my tanks. As for time my 75 gallon tanks about 40 minutes to clean fill and treat more water. However the 160 is a different story

11. OP
    OP
    klogue2

Thanks everyone! I guess I have a plan now :) I appreciate the help!

12. bankruptjojo

bankruptjojo Fishlore VIP Member

If u want a big tank that won't be to hard to move get a 33gallon long. I have one and I love it.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice