Should I Start All Over?

1. King o´ Angelfish

King o´ Angelfish Member Member

I have a 50 gal planted tank. I have soil capped with 1.5-2 in of small gravel. It used to be very lush the first 4-5 months. I had Jungle Val, Swords, Dwarf Sag, Narrow leaf sag, ludwigia, hygro corymbosa, elodia. The stock is 4 angels/RTS/2 platys/15 platinum tetras/6 corydoras/6 ottos. I have 600gph of filtration. Temp is 28ºC.

Life got in the way and I went 4 months without a water change.

No fish died, but algae took over from high nitrates sparking algae.

The jungle val/swords/elodia melted away completely. The Hygro stayed healthy, but the ludwigia and the sag all got some bba and green algae on the leaves. Im now back in with the wkly w/c. But BBA has taken over a lot of the sag, and the plants arent growing as fast as they used to without algae.

Should I remove all the plants, toss the affected ones, give the tank a deep clean(with fish inside), and start all over?

I want to start with ZERO algae. ALso im planning on a new scape. I would buy more plants.

2. d

danhutchins Member Member

I would do a complete black out for 3 days. This will kill off the algae. Also get a good clean up crew like shrimp and algae eating fish as they will eat the dead algae from the plants. I wouldn't toss any they should be fine when the issue is taken care of.

3. OP
    OP
    King o´ Angelfish

King o´ Angelfish Member Member

Yea but most of the sag is melted by now. i dont think it will recover. That just leaves me with the Hygro and Ludwigia. The issue is taken care of, there is no more algae growing, its just there. And the plants arent grwoing cuz of the existing algae. My parameters are stable. Lights 8hours. And im over filtering. I can try the blackout though. . .would I cover with a sheet, and not feed the fish for 3 days?

4. d

Yes cover the tank and don't feed. It seems like a bad thing to do to the fish but it's not. They dont eat every day in the wild since they are competing with others. I try not to feed my fish but 3-4 times a week.

5. d

Also remove any dead leaves. Always remove them to keep algae at bay.