should i seperate the babies?

Discussion in 'Snails' started by monkeypie102, Dec 23, 2012.

1. monkeypie102

monkeypie102 Well Known Member Member

I have a 5g tank sitting below my 29g empty and I am now toying with the idea of seperating my baby assassins from my main tank... I do plan to sell the babies as they grow but i am not sure if I should or if it would be safe to do so... my only issue is that I don't have any snails readily available to go in to there unless I take a trip to Walmart and get a bunch of giant pondsnails from them (they get 3x larger than a bladder snail) but then i am arguing with the employees that they are not the mystery snails they also have there... anyways my issues are

Food
    Substrate (I know I need some but i am also wanting to do a barebottom to make it easier to clean...)
    Lighting
    Heat
    And would a filter be needed?

2. grfresconero

grfresconero Valued Member Member

Hi am am Aussie living in Greece and i also had a new baby boom of blue gurami on th 20/10/12
    I separated the from the mum on the first day,the dad on the third. At the start i had about 200 no kidding now i have about 100 different sizes from 1 inch to 1 cm. I had the at the start in my 60 lt tank and now i put them in two 15 lt . Now my tank`s have a substrate of fresh water sand and some fern plant vegetation no filtration required only air to oxygenaise and the are ok. I started feeding them egg yolk boiled and diluted in a jar so i could use a syringe to feed them, and now i just give them crushed
    flakes with some chips 50-50 mix . crush them well so the fry don`t choke and die. That`s how i lost the
    other`s, now for heating there are two options one heating tube or a normal lamp close to the water
    that's what i got on a 12 hour cycle , it works and the fish get better and healthy`er. merry christmas

3. OP
    OP
    monkeypie102

monkeypie102 Well Known Member Member

Oh that sounds so cool and i will have to do that when I breed my betta imbellis (when i get them xD) however snails won't touch that stuff so long as there is live food about... thanks for that advice though! And Congrats on the gourmi fry!

4. grfresconero

grfresconero Valued Member Member

HEY monkeypie check out my pic of the gurrami .

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice