Should I rethink my stocking? What would you do? 20 Gallon Tank

Discussion in 'Aquarium Stocking Questions' started by FLGirl, Apr 15, 2010.

1. FLGirl

FLGirlWell Known MemberMember

Hey! Iv asked questions about stocking before and got some great answers. How ever when someone asked me if It was a long or high I didn't know what they meant someone said it just meant longer than tall which mine is but I looked on the net and its not a long but a high 24 long 16 high and 12. Heres what Iv been going over...

4 danios (i have)
    2-3 glofish
    1 Bolivian Ram
    Some assortment of corries (i like pandas and others but was thinking of going with the smaller dwarfs/pygmy for my tank)

Would this be too much for my 20?

2. sirdarksol

sirdarksolFishlore LegendMember

Spacewise, that looks doable, if you're going with the dwarf/pygmy cories. It is perhaps a bit on the heavy side of bioload, but a little bit of extra water changed every week would take care of that. However, I've heard that Bolivian rams tend to be shy and don't like being around overly active fish, and danios are extremely active. They might drive the ram insane.

3. OP
    OP
    FLGirl

Thanks, what if I don't do any cory, will that help any? Like giving the ram more space or do you think the Bolivian ram would be totally inappropriate with the danios? Someone suggested the ram and Iv been looking at them all over the net & in person at the LFS I adore them. Its the one fish my rent actually thought was interesting too lol but I don't want to get one just to make him go insane and be unhappy.

4. sirdarksol

It would be the danios that would bother the ram. I doubt it will care one way or the other about the cories. Personally, I'd be leery about keeping a ram with danios. If you put a ton of cover in the tank, you might be able to make it work, but you'd have to be prepared to return it or rehome if it got stressed out.

5. harpua2002

harpua2002Fishlore VIPMember

My Bolivians were quite boisterous and weren't ever bothered by other fish. That said, every fish is different, and like SDS said you might see some problems. Then again, you might not.

Personally, I think your stock list is quite doable, BUT just to be on the safe side I would suggest asking about your lfs's return policy, should you find yourself in a situation where you'd need to rehome.

6. sirdarksol

Thank you, harpua. I was hoping someone with actual experience with Bolivian rams would see this and respond. I'm just going by info in Bolivian ram profiles from a few different sites.

7. OP
    OP
    FLGirl

Thanks! I think I'll go a dif route then...Id have to see about my stores return policy I know they have a freshwater guarantee where in X amount of days you get a refund if your fish dies and your waters good but I don't know about returns....ok like i love the ram but maybe I should just wait and maybe one day Ill have a larger tank. Think I will just get 3 glo fish and live plants when Im done cycled and be done....that way i wont be pushing the bioload and they should have enough swimming room? They really use the whole tank, prob cause its not long enough... :;fru your probably right about buggin him. Do you think the zebra danios and glo fish will be happy enough even though my tank is not that long?

8. Meenu

MeenuFishlore VIPMember

I had 6 danios in my 30g long (36 inches long) and they made me crazy. Nipping each other, eating my guppy's tail right off. The need a lot of horizontal swim space. Personally, I wouldn't keep them in a 20 tall... but then I suppose I wouldn't keep them at all (not my favorite community fish).

9. OP
    OP
    FLGirl

ok i think ill just get 1 reg zebra danio when ready and see if they are good then stop there then. its good to know how off base it was before jumping into it. I hope they will be happy even though its not a long but i guess its better than the really 20 high but is it better enough? Any other opinions? Thanks!

Last edited: Apr 15, 2010
  10. bolivianbaby

bolivianbabyFishlore LegendMember

I have bolivian rams in one of my 55g tanks. I had some glofish in with them for awhile and they were fine. Right now the most active fish in the tank are my cories. My rams aren't shy at all. They haven't been shy the whole time I've had them.

I hope this helps.

Your entire stocking list definitely sounds doable, but I agree to check with the LFS in regards to their return policy in case you have any problems.

11. OP
    OP
    FLGirl

I will talk to them about the return policy. I'm trying to figure out what I really think is best, I want to make sure i don't overdo. Will prob still be a little while so I have time to decide. I still have to finish cycling, buy new tank accessories that match the fishes needs better and my tastes(but I know i can take the others out right away since its so new of a tank), buy plants, and just make sure I am consistently stable for awhile. So I will consider everyones opinion whilst I wait. I very much welcome all the different advice as I have no real experience to draw from so I really appreciate it. :;f

12. Meenu

MeenuFishlore VIPMember

FLG,
    Some stores have a policy where they will buy back fish (for store credit or cash), others will let you bring back a fish so that they can resell it, but won't pay you any money. Mine lets you bring back fish, they put them in a plants-only tank, and rehome them, but won't sell them.
    Other stores won't accept any live fish no matter what. This is where there could be a problem - you try the fish out, it doesn't work, and then you don't have a feasible way to rehome it.

So when you ask about their return policy, they may respond with what they do if your fish dies in a week - be sure to question further and ask what happens if the fish needs a new home in a few months.

13. OP
    OP
    FLGirl

I will, I plan on going in soon (not to buy fish lol) and I can talk to them all about it in person. I know fish stores are suppose to be inherently evil and I'v got my guard up but they seem to be up front about policies like that. I'll make sure every things clear. Iv been trying to find other LFS so I have more options too but everyone I find has closed. *sigh* I won't jump into anything as tempting as it may be. :;f:;fb:;fg:;fr

Thanks for all the advice ya'll! :;a1

14. sirdarksol

The big difference I see here is that, in a 55g, the rams have more space to feel like they can run away, should the need arise.

I still think this is possible, especially given the experiences of those of you who have kept rams.

Whatever the case, FLGirl, keep us updated and let us know how things work out.

15. OP
    OP
    FLGirl

Your right sirdarksol, that is a big dif. At this point I have to see if I can even find one available. They had a ''large'' bolivian ram I suppose they called it large because it wasn't a baby but I'm pretty sure they sold him. So Id have to see if they are getting more or are even willing too order (they say if they don't have it they will get it but ya never know) and that would answer the question real fast. Id really love to have the fish but its not worth it for it to be unhappy so I'll go about it carefully and update yall about what happens. :;thx

16. sirdarksol

Sounds good, and thank you so much for thinking about the fish first and your wishes second. It's the best way to have a happy, healthy aquarium, and will bring you much more brilliant successes in the hobby. ;D