Should I reseal my tank?

Gabbie

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I recently had to move my 120 gallon extra tall tank as I was refinishing my hardwood floors. I moved all my fish to a 55 gallon including the plants, rocks, driftwood, sponge filter, and FX6.

I originally tried moving the tank with sand still in the tank using a lift. Did not work, got it about 6 feet. I removed all the sand and placed the tank in my garage for 1 week. I noticed these small air bubbles in parts of all inner side seals. I don’t remember if these were here prior. Should I reseal the tank? I have never done a reseal but a local guy who has done many has offered to help.

Looking for feedback from someone who explicitly has experience with resealing and/or whatever these air bubbles might be and if I should be worried.

5E5731D7-3CA1-4E2B-B79C-BF2F41D4902A.jpeg98EC1D4E-FA4E-4653-A687-9EC0FADD138E.jpeg

OP
Gabbie

Gabbie

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
sulucanaC said:
I wouldn't reseal. I get that on my tanks that have been established for 6 years+.
That’s what I was hoping to hear. Resealing makes me nervous!

jaysurf7

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
imo I wouldn't reseal it ,I had a 60 gal tank that sprung a leak while back I went out and got a temporary 20 gal transferd the filter,some gravel etc to it and just got a brand new 60 tank and put everything back again,It was a bit time consuming but it gave me piece of mind.Resealing isn't an exact science I know some that resealed and it was fine I also know some that resealed and a month later the seal burst and almost 75 gallons of water all over the floor.i think when the silicon starts to get bubbles in it its starting to wear out is what I noticed with my tank that sprung a leak.i think most fish keepers should know that some day there most likely going to have to get a new tank.

OP
Gabbie

Gabbie

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
jaysurf7 said:
imo I wouldn't reseal it ,I had a 60 gal tank that sprung a leak while back I went out and got a temporary 20 gal transferd the filter,some gravel etc to it and just got a brand new 60 tank and put everything back again,It was a bit time consuming but it gave me piece of mind.Resealing isn't an exact science I know some that resealed and it was fine I also know some that resealed and a month later the seal burst and almost 75 gallons of water all over the floor.i think when the silicon starts to get bubbles in it its starting to wear out is what I noticed with my tank that sprung a leak.i think most fish keepers should know that some day there most likely going to have to get a new tank.
Thanks so much for the input jaysurf! Looking back at pictures from when I purchased the tank (used) in December, it appears the small bubbles were there. The silicon still feels and looks great otherwise, no peeling away, firm but rubbery (not dry), no discoloration, etc. I think what I’m going to do is place the tank on some thick canvas drop cloth in my garage and leave it filled with water for 3-4 days. If it doesn’t leak, I will move it back into the house and slowly get it going again. If it does leak, I will start looking for a new tank. I know this tank won’t last forever but I do think it has some good life left in it. My hope is that if it doesn’t leak over the next couple days, it will either never leak for me before I eventually replace it OR leak slowly so I can catch it before any damage to the house or inhabitants is done.

New Threads

Follow FishLore!

FishLore on Social Media

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Aquarium Photo Contests

Aquarium Calculator

Top Bottom