Should I Replace Carbon?

1. raptorsvt79 Well Known Member Member

i'm due to replace my carbon cartridge, but i recently added live plants to my tank and was wondering if i should continue to replace the carbon, since i've heard that new carbon will remove nutrients that the plants need. I like replacing the cartridge, since my driftwood still leeches tannis and i'm not to crazy about the yellow look of the tank. What should i do?

2. LyndaB Fishlore Legend Member

You don't even have to have carbon at all. Most don't. To be honest, I don't think the carbon will help remove tannins.

If I were you, I'd dump the carbon and rely on water changes to lessen the tannins.

3. raptorsvt79 Well Known Member Member

i don't rely on it too much..... i do weekly water changes, but the tannis comes back after a day...i am thinking about gettin a sponge to put into my filter instead of the carbon and floss i have in there.....but i need to go shopping first

4. iZaO Jnr Well Known Member Member

I agree. In planted tanks many dont use carbon because some do believe that it absorbs fertilizers and essentials for the plants.

Carbon is a choice IMO, but needs to be changed for fresh very regularly to get the full bang out of it, hence why i also dont use it on my bigger tanks\. I do use it on my 2 smaller tanks and i can say that it does seem to have a neffect on the tannins, but not an obvious one.

5. striker Member Member

I would also like to add that it is much better if you just do water changes to keep the water in clear condition.

6. Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

Good morning,

I haven't had any issues by using Activated Carbon in a heavily planted tank. I have tons of new growth and I use fertilizers, liquid and tabs.

Activated Carbon will help to some degree to remove tannins from the water. However, if the source of the tannins isn't removed, then it will continue to leach tannins for quite some time and it will appear that the Activated Carbon isn't working.

Not everyone's water from the tap comes out crystal clear. I have well water with silt issues and the Activated Carbon does my water a world of good! :) My tanks are crystal clear.

Activated Carbon, should you use it, should be replaced every 3 weeks for fresh.

Thanks!

Ken

7. iZaO Jnr Well Known Member Member

I've stopped using activated carbon on my tanks and i now use it on the fill up water. I have a connector to my tap and well water outlet that has space for media capacity. I run the carbon in there. Does seem to alleviate similar silt issues that Ken mentions. The water does look much clearer.

8. Squirtle =) Member Member

Honestly I find purigen much better and cheaper in the long run, carbon does work for tannins but like ken said you have to replace it every 3 weeks compared to purigen which will run for 6-8 months without needing replacing then a simple bleach bath and can be reused + it also does a lot more then just clears water and is very good for tannins I found.

9. iZaO Jnr Well Known Member Member

Carbon IMO doesnt last 3 weeks. There are claims it doesnt even last for 72 hours and there is unfortunately enough evidence to make me think twice. I dont personally believe that either, but i dont believe 3 weeks is valid either.

10. Squirtle =) Member Member

you could be right there, I just went off kens figure, I have never used carbon apart for the first time it came with a filter I have read about tannins water a lot but :D

11. iZaO Jnr Well Known Member Member

I have no true answer to how long it lasts and its true effectiveness, i dont actually know if anyone does. There is evidence that points both ways.

Both answers include the initial help so i stick with that :):) The silt issues i have are cleared up by filtering once through carbon, so i guess thats all i need

12. AlyeskaGirl Fishlore VIP Member

A lot more means it controls ammonia, nitrite and nitrate. I can find myself using this in a quick quarantine setup but not in main tank.

Using this would be a personnel choice also. Maybe it would be beneficial with members that have ammonia and nitrates in their water source. :;dk

13. iZaO Jnr Well Known Member Member

I know that's exactly when i would use it!...

14. Squirtle =) Member Member

I use it in every tank, Everything stays 0-0-0 cant complain, Seachem also states it dose not interfere with cycle/ bacteria feeding and have tests to back this up, it says controls not completely removes, if your suggesting that its interferes with a cycle? I am not sure? I just love it most tanks have driftwood tried many others add purigen and everything nice and clear, the others is just an added benefit in my mind but yes I completely agree its all personally choice.

15. iZaO Jnr Well Known Member Member

no not at all... a company wouldnt manufacture a product like that knowing it affeccts the cycle :)

just saying its like carbon on steroids, which is useful for those with source water issues ;D