Should I Remove The Egg Crate From My 125g Tanganyikan Tank

Discussion in 'Aquarium Aquascaping' started by H2O Concierge, Jun 25, 2019.

1. H2O ConciergeValued MemberMember

When I recently IMG_8832.jpg set up the 125g I had never used large stones and was concerned with placing them directly on the bottom glass so I installed egg crate (light diffuser). Barely covering it with sand before placing the stones. I only put in 4 bags of Carib Sea African, so the bed is shallow. My sifters only expose the crate at the rear of the tank where I don't see it so I am not bothered by that. I am concerned about stagnant sand between the squares and the "bad stuff" that would collect. Am I overly concerned, should I just live with it, should I try to remove the crate that is not in contact with the stones,...? Feel free to call me an idiot. Thanks to all.

2. A201Well Known MemberMember

I don't use any egg crates to support my rocks, and some of them weigh over fifty pounds. I've got roughly four inches of small grain gravel substrate, which distributes the weight. As you know African Cichilds dig, as a result some weekly routine back filling is required. Haven't had any rock disasters. This particular tank has been up & running nearly four years. 20190616_080406.jpg

3. H2O ConciergeValued MemberMember

Nice Scape! Ya, at this point I am wondering if it was a good idea for me to put crate down, but removing it might create other problems (other than upset fish). It wouldn't be practical to remove it all, but I might be able to cut and remove the front sections that don't have stone on them.

4. A201Well Known MemberMember

I've read a lot of threads where keepers had trouble hiding buried egg crate due to cichlid excavation. It sure wouldn't be an easy task pulling it out, not to mention the possibility of releasing toxins buried in the sand. Might be a better idea just to add another inch or two of sand. Btw, nice tank.

5. H2O ConciergeValued MemberMember

Tah
    inks for the thumbs up on the tank. It has only been set up a month so toxins might not be much of a problem. I see very little egg crate unless I look behind the stones at the back of the tank. It does not bother me. But having a DSB with egg crate I've read is a no no..