Should I remove an Amazon Sword from its pot?

1. bettanewbie Member Member

I bought an amazon sword over a month ago, and the roots are starting to come out of the black pot. Should I remove it and plant it under the gravel I have? It is growing new leaves quite quickly. Sorry if this is a stupid question, I just picked up a book and it says to take it out. :;smack

2. e_watson09 Well Known Member Member

I take all of mine out. My amazon swords reproduce like CRAZY too! They're amazing I love them

3. AlyeskaGirl Fishlore VIP Member

Yes, take it out of the pot, give roots a little trim and put in the substrate. It will also need a root tab for feeding. I use Flourish Root Tabs. Just one pushed down next to it.

They are a beautiful plant and get big under the right conditions.

4. bettanewbie Member Member

I'm sorry but what is a root tab? Would you mind linking to one?

5. Akari_32 Fishlore Legend Member

6. bettanewbie Member Member

So that won't pollute my tank right?

7. catsma_97504 Fishlore Legend Member

Yes, remove the plant from the plastic pot. Also, pull away the wool that the roots are in.

A single root tab next to the plant will not pollute your tank. But in a 10G tank, you will not have room for anything else in a few months. These plants grow very quickly and are tank busters! I have one that is taking over a 90G tank!

8. bettanewbie Member Member

I only have a moss ball. :)
    Update! There was not any wool around the plant, just some green stuff. FINALLY tracked down the root tabs and put one in, there is some stuff floating around but thats from doing some serious tank work, and it is now planted. :)