Should I rehome congo tetras

Discussion in 'Aquarium Stocking Questions' started by Aceokay, Jul 3, 2016.

1. Aceokay

Aceokay New Member Member

A month ago, I acquired a 25g freshwater tank from a coworker, who's father hadn't cleaned the tank in about 3 years. The tank came with two full grown fish which I was told were rainbow tetras, as well as a few other full grown fish. After finding fishlore and doing some research, I have come to realise that they are in fact congo tetras. From what I read, these are schooling fish so they need at least 4 to be comfortable, but they also need quite a bit of room to swim around in. So now I'm not sure what I should do with these guys. Any suggestions?

2. el337

el337 Fishlore Legend Member

Welcome to the forum :)

They get around 3 inches and need a group of at least 6+ so they would probably do better in a 40g breeder or 55g. I would rehome them, yes.

3. Fettuccini

Fettuccini Well Known Member Member

They're fairly big (for tetras) and EXTREMELY active fish that really love to swim fast. Personally, I wouldn't keep a school of adults in anything under 48."

4. Redshark1

Redshark1 Well Known Member Member

I have nine in a 90 UK gallon and they are superb fish due to their peaceful sociable nature, activity, reflective colours in the right light and easy care (they eat everything and are remarkably disease-free).

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice