Should I rehome congo tetras

1. Aceokay

Aceokay New Member Member

A month ago, I acquired a 25g freshwater tank from a coworker, who's father hadn't cleaned the tank in about 3 years. The tank came with two full grown fish which I was told were rainbow tetras, as well as a few other full grown fish. After finding fishlore and doing some research, I have come to realise that they are in fact congo tetras. From what I read, these are schooling fish so they need at least 4 to be comfortable, but they also need quite a bit of room to swim around in. So now I'm not sure what I should do with these guys. Any suggestions?

2. el337

el337 Fishlore Legend Member

Welcome to the forum :)

They get around 3 inches and need a group of at least 6+ so they would probably do better in a 40g breeder or 55g. I would rehome them, yes.

3. Fettuccini

Fettuccini Well Known Member Member

They're fairly big (for tetras) and EXTREMELY active fish that really love to swim fast. Personally, I wouldn't keep a school of adults in anything under 48."

4. Redshark1

Redshark1 Well Known Member Member

I have nine in a 90 UK gallon and they are superb fish due to their peaceful sociable nature, activity, reflective colours in the right light and easy care (they eat everything and are remarkably disease-free).