Should I Quit This Hobby

1. ChuthuluFish Member Member

...i dont no were else to go but here...
    i find it really hard to care for my one fish detta the detta. iv almost given up. my tap water is horrible i have to dose it with 3X the normal amount just to make it safe ish. i hav no way to remove the ammonia from the tap. after doing 2-3 water changes a day the nitrate will not go bellow 100. my bettas lethargic . it took me 3 monthes to cycle and now my fish is dying. he has ich and finrot i dont have medicine. i fell i should put him down . but i cant with what oils i have. i wont be able to get any thingf or him for 16-19 days ill be gone have that time so i cant help him. i feel i shoild sell all my stuf give my betta a way or put him and find a different hobby .
    about 5-6 monthes ago my dad gave me al his ornaments becuse dropsy killed every thing. i forgot that and added it to the tank(it was in a box the hol time) i dont even want to take it out decuse he has such a small chance of survival.

im looking for more advanced fish keepers to tell me what i should do for my bettas sake.
    i really love this hobby but cant aford it. and if lose my betta i dont now what to do.

everyone on here has helped me alot and i thank them. id like every ones opionon...

2. Oleander Initiate Member

Stop using your tap water. You can buy 5 gallons of distilled or artesian water for a few bucks. You don't have to treat it in any way.

3. TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

If you're going to use distilled water, you'll need to use something to add minerals back to the water, like Seachem's Replenish.

I'm sorry you're having so much trouble. However, if you can't afford to take care of your fish, I would look for a new home for him.

4. ChuthuluFish Member Member

what about bottled water. for minerals. the only way i can get any thing is amozon or get some one to drive me 1 1/2 hours to. ill check the price. on sechem thing. i just realized i have no one to give him to.

5. JesseMoreira06 Well Known Member Member

There's an expression I like to use sometimes. "When in doubt , check out" . If your thinking maybe this isn't for you, then maybe it isn't.

If you can't afford to take care of your betta , best thing to do is rehome him. Try posting a thread on the buy sell trade section of fishlore, maybe craightlist so on..

6. Oleander Initiate Member

I've used bottled drinking water before, and it seems to work fine. Especially if that's the only alternative you have to your horrible tap water. Bottled water shouldn't have chlorine, but it might be good to test it before you use it.

7. Herkimur Well Known Member Member

Yup. I've used bottled spring water and my fish and crayfish did excellent.

Do NOT use distilled water.
    Only Spring Water.

8. Fashooga Well Known Member Member

Have you explored the option of maybe filling up a huge bucket of water and letting it sit on the side of a few days? Get a 5 gallon bucket and put water in there. Leave it it the garage for a few days and and treat this like your going to treat the tank. Does the water change by doing this method? I'm sure there are other alternatives to getting this to work at your area.

With that said you will need to figure the cost of using bottle water from the store vs. tap water. Is it much cheaper than tap? Will your parents be ok buying gallons upon gallons of water to help you with your hobby? If not perhaps the answer is not to quit the hobby but simply delay the enjoyment of the hobby until your out on your own and in an area where the water is different from your parents.

9. TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

Letting the water sit out won't remove the ammonia or nitrates in the water.

10. vikingkirken Well Known Member Member

What does your family do for drinking water, if you tap has ammonia and nitrates like that...?

11. Fashooga Well Known Member Member

Well I guess that answers that question!

12. Kellye8498 Well Known Member Member

Also, do not just dump the fish from tap water straight into bottled. You will shock them and they will die. You need to do 10% water changes for a few days, removing tap and adding bottled to get them used to the water changing.

13. Lchi87 Fishlore VIP Member

While this hobby isn't rainbows and sunshine all the time, its supposed to be fun. So if caring for your fish is causing you stress and you're unable to care for him properly, it may be best to take a break for now. But don't say quit! You may find you're able to revisit it again in the future when circumstances are better. Keep your chin up! :)

14. Piaelliott Well Known Member Member

I am not surprised that you have problems, your water sounds horrible. I hope you and your family drink bottled water!

Are you 13? If yes, your parents need to be on board with you, otherwise you don't have a chance and it would be better if you waited until you are independent.
    Just an idea. For a while I thought I had problems with my water and my LFS offered to fill 5gal buckets for me.
    You can get a 5 gal bucket from Home Depot for about $6. Maybe you have relatives close by with a better water supply and your parents would be willing to get water for you once a week.

15. NavigatorBlack Fishlore VIP Member

I cut back to one tank when I was in my teens, because my family had moved to a place with horrible water. It left scale on everything, and was so hard only livebearers could thrive.
    I kept reading about the tetras I liked back then, kept learning and as soon as I moved away to a place that happened to have decent tap, I got right back to the hobby I loved. Sometimes, you roll with the punches.

16. purslanegarden Well Known Member Member

You could also try other fish....some may be (or become) more tolerant of higher ammonia levels. For example, goldfish live in all sorts of conditions when someone doesn't do his due diligence of keeping the tank in good condition. Amphibians also can be less prone because they can get out of the water, or also you'll have less of it that they need on a daily basis. Eg, some amphibians don't need a half or full tank, just some little dish of water.

17. Kody Grieve Member Member

try bottled water, if that doesn't help you could try going to your fish shop and try to appeal to their nice side to get them to help you take care of him. they're probably better equipt to sort out that nasty tap water than you are, so even if you take the tank in, maybe a couple of tears and some puppy eyes haha. but if it doesn't work out then stop for a bit and wait till you're somewhere with good tap water then you can try again :). but make sure you keep all your stuff. it sounds like if you're doing that many water changes/that much upkeep you're definitely destined for this hobby so don't let the tap water ruin it for you!!!

18. Biev Member Member

I agree with everyone's suggestions, I just want to point out that you are allowed to take breaks from the fish-keeping hobby, and it doesn't mean you have to give it up forever. We've all hit rougher times at some point. If you feel a break is what you need, there's no shame in it.