Should I Quarantine/hospital Tank? Help

1. n

nicoless Member Member

Hi- I've posted a few times recently about my betta's up-and-down health. Over the past couple days she's taken a turn for the worse and is now unable to eat. I inherited this betta in a 1 gallon bowl and have been learning as I go along.

I haven't been able to figure out what is causing her decline, so it's been hard to know what to do. I can give you the history of what I've tried, any information that might help find the problem. Yesterday I read about columnaris and thought that might be it. The symptoms and tank characteristics lined up. So I'm running Furan-2 and Kanaplex in her tank at the moment. No improvement.

I have a spare 5 gallon and was wondering if making it into a hospital tank would be a good idea or not. If there's some problem in her current tank that I'm not detecting, maybe it would help?

Thank you for any help :-/

Attached Files:

2. Fanatic

Fanatic Fishlore VIP Member

Hello :) Sorry about your sick betta! :(
    I need you to answer some important questions for me, they are crucial to helping this guy heal.

Do you have a filter and heater? Did you cycle the tank?
    What are other inhabitants that you keep with this betta?

I personally do not see columnaris, but fin rot and severe fin damage. I personally think you will need to do water changes nonstop for the next week and see how that improves it.
    You can use light dosages of aquarium salt to aid in healing, I also would crank the temperature up to 80 - 82 if it isn't already.

3. OP
    OP
    n

nicoless Member Member

Hi thank you!

Yes I have a sponge filter and a heater. The temp is 80 degrees.

I had to do a fish-in cycle with her starting last November. I'm not sure whether the tank actually cycled. My readings are always good, but nitrate has been spiking lately.

She is the only fish in the tank, no other inhabitants.

Can you help me see the fin rot? She has looked like this since she came to me last year. I only recently realized that medication is a controversial topic, and I didn't know that meds put so much stress on the fish :(. I'm worried I did more damage than good in the recent weeks, dosing her for parasites and now this.

I will run out and get some aquarium salt later today :-/ thank you!

Any other info I can provide, please let me know!

4. Fanatic

Okay! You are cycled if you are seeing nitrates :)
    She has fin rot because the fins are nearly gone at this point, I strongly recommend the salt and daily water changes, and I do mean daily.
    I also see that she appears to be bloated, what are you feeding her and how often?

5. OP
    OP
    n

nicoless Member Member

Good to know about the cycle, thank you!

I will definitely do the salt and water changes, but I do want to make sure I understand-- Her fins haven't changed at all since I got her a year ago, they have always had that spiky shape-- would I be seeing gradual shrinkage with fin rot?

I feed her 3-4 Betta Buffet pellets in the morning, sometimes brine shrimp or daphnia to change it up. I was fasting her once a week and feeding her the occasional pea. Her poop turned stringy a few months ago, but I didn't know that was a bad sign until recently. I tried treating her for parasites with API General Cure but the meds really stressed her out :-/. Even so, this is the first time she is refusing food. :(

6. Fanatic

Yes, fin rot eats away at fins causing them to become smaller.
    So, her poop is white and stringy? That does indicate parasites, I would continue with the water changes. That'll help everything.

7. OP
    OP
    n

nicoless Member Member

Thank you so much! I'm hoping the water changes and salt will help her.

Just so I'm clear, her fins aren't actually shrinking, they have looked exactly the same as long as I've had her (a year), so that does that still sound like fin rot to you? Will the salt hurt her if there's no fin rot?

8. Fanatic

Nope, but if her fins were like that, then she's been biting them forever or suffering from occasional fin rot.

9. OP
    OP
    n

nicoless Member Member

Wow, good to know :-/. I haven't seen her biting but she has been under a lot of stressful conditions in her life, unfortunately.

Thank you so much for your help!

10. OP
    OP
    n

nicoless Member Member

I've been doing the water changes as recommended but this morning noticed that her fins are bristling :(

I just dosed the tank with aquarium salt, slightly less than the recommended amount. My question is-- should I replace the salt when I do a water change? I've never done this and don't want to add too much.

She seemed to perk up right after I added the salt and even ate a little.