Should I Put It Out Of It's Misery?

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by Rere983, Aug 2, 2014.

1. Rere983

Rere983 New Member Member

I recently started up a 20g tank and am cycling it with lamp-eye tetras. Now, about a week later one of the three fish is floating upside-down at the top of the tank. At first I thought he was dead, but when I attempted to scoop him up, he slowly attempted to swim away. Is it best for me to flush him now, or should I give him a chance to recover?

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

2. AquaticBrandon

AquaticBrandon Well Known Member Member

IMO I wouldn't flush him. I say give him some time to see if he gets better.

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

Last edited: Aug 2, 2014
  3. Lyfeoffishing

Lyfeoffishing Well Known Member Member

You should never flush a fish btw.

IMO I would wait it out and see if things will turn for the better.

4. hollie1505

hollie1505 Well Known Member Member

5. endlercollector

endlercollector Fishlore VIP Member

If you feel that it is time, then it likely is. You can use a container just large enough to hold him. A mug or plastic food storage is ok if you run through dishwasher later. Fill with tank water deep enough for fish to rest in. Shake in a dozen or so drops of clove oil (available at health food stores). Put him in there and cover with a napkin. Less space and darkness keeps everyone calmer generally and they go with less suffering.

6. jdhef

jdhef Moderator Moderator Member

Welcome to FishLore!

It would appear you are doing a fish-in cycle. Did you add a bacteria additive such as Tetra SafeStart? If you did not use a bacteria additive, are you doing daily partial water changes with a water conditioner called Prime?

You may be thinking that these questions are of no help, but if you are cycling the way I was told to by a PetSmart employee (which was wrong) you will lose even more fish most likely.

I was told to just put some fish in the tank and wait for the tank to cycle (no water changes, no Prime). But cycling in that manner will expose the fish to extended periods of high ammonia and nitrite levels which will kill fish (or shorten their lives if they survive the cycle)

It would be helpful if you could post your ammonia, nitrite and nitrate levels.

Best of luck

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice