Should I Put In More Crushed Coral?

1. guppiesandpuppies

guppiesandpuppies Valued Member Member

Hi. Currently, I have 2 tablespoons of crushed coral in my Top Fin Power 10 filter, which is being used for a 10-gallon tank with 3 adult male guppies and Cryptocoryne Wendtii in it. I put the crushed coral in when the filter was being used for a 5.5-gallon tank with the same water source and the same fish and the same Cryptocoryne Wendtii because I was having pH swings from 7.4 to 7.9 and back. 17 nights ago, the pH was somewhere from 7.4-7.6 (the API tests lose a lot of their accuracy in that range because one can only test up to 7.6, the other can only test down to 7.4, and they get less accurate at the extremes). Tonight, it was at 7.9. I don't want to add anything to my filter unnecessarily for fear that it will mess things up. I've heard here that adding a tablespoon of crushed coral at a time when having pH swings is pretty safe. But I think I only heard it from one person. What does everyone else think?

2. endlercollector

endlercollector Fishlore VIP Member

If your fish are ok, I'd leave it where you have it and just enjoy watching them swim around. Try not to stress out too much ;)

3. OP
    OP
    guppiesandpuppies

I think it's become quite obvious to most people here that I am incapable of not stressing out too much, though .

I think I'll wait to see what people here tend to think I should do before I do anything.

4. endlercollector

endlercollector Fishlore VIP Member

I've experience intense anxiety over my tanks, and have torn down quite a few after having the worst luck. I've been working very hard on relaxing (!) and enjoying the fish for as long as they are healthy and happy ;)

5. Cranks_Tanks

Cranks_Tanks Valued Member Member

if all you have are guppies, that ph swing isnt going to bother them. constantly trying to tweak your water will, although crushed coral is a pretty safe way to do it. even more sensitive fish like rams or discus wont even be bothered by .5 unless its almost instantly.
    I've never heard of anyone using such a small amount effectively, usually people use it for at least a quarter or so of their substrate, but that is probably why your ph is up to 7.9 now.

your ph will also naturally swing from day to night as your plants stop their intake of CO2 and life stops breathing so much. if you arent seeing any signs of stress in your fish, there is nothing stressing them out. dont chase perfect water, it only hurts your fish with less consistency.

6. Kellye8498

Kellye8498 Well Known Member Member

Unless you have very sensitive fish the pH is fine. You will be ok to just leave it as is :) No more stressing. Sometimes testing is amazing and other times it just makes people worry more.

7. OP
    OP
    guppiesandpuppies

Ok, I'll leave it as it is for now and watch to make sure my fish don't start acting differently. Thanks, everybody!

8. P

PlantedTanks Valued Member Member

Ph swings can be caused by a low buffer. Test your kh or get the store to do it for you. If it's really low, you can add baking soda during water changes to raise it.

9. OP
    OP
    guppiesandpuppies

It's not very low. When I tested it a few nights ago, it was about 130 ppm.

10. P

PlantedTanks Valued Member Member

How come you are adding crushed coral then? Guppies will do fine under most parameters, I wouldn't bother adding crushed coral.

11. OP
    OP
    guppiesandpuppies

If I do it, it would be because pH swings might harm them, but I guess unless they start to show signs of stress, it's not necessary.

12. Fashooga

Fashooga Fishlore VIP Member

If it ain't broke don't fix it. Chasing pH can cause more harm then good.

If you were talking like pH was at a low of 6...different story.