Should I put him out of his misery...? :(

Jequila

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Edit: RIP Takeshi, I will remember you always.

So I posted a while ago about Takeshi being sick... It's gotten much worse. Two nights ago he started pineconing...

I've been giving him two epson salt baths a day, which he seems to enjoy. I've also been putting Aquari-cycline in the water and raised the temp to 26 degrees celsius, which is what the LFS recommended. He looks pale, I think his gills are swollen, he doesn't have much energy. Should I put the poor thing down? I just keep thinking "But what if he gets better?" even though it's so unlikely. I've only had him for a year and already I'm so attached to him, it's heart breaking.

Last edited:

midthought

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I'm sorry to hear about your fish. :console: I believe dropsy is usually fatal to bettas, but some do occasionally survive. It's a hard decision you have to make. I don't know if he's suffering, but my decision to put him down would probably just come down to that.

Jequila

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I'm not sure... He's still eating, but he's not a very good swimmer at the moment. He has always bitten his fins, but they look worse then normal too.
Over the last two days, it doesn't seem that he's got any better or worse :S

catfishlover123

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
After looking at other posts, unfortuantly there does not seem to be a cure for dropsy . I hope he pulls through though!

Jequila

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Well... I guess I'll wait one more day and give the meds time to help. I don't like the thought of him dieing, but I also don't want him to suffer. If he shows improvement tomorrow i'll leave it for another day. If not...

Jequila

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I have to go to work soon, and I really don't want to leave him alone :S I hope he's still ok when I get back...

I've never used them before, but should I be adding aquarium salts to my water? Would this possibly help, or would it hinder the meds? The LFS lady said it's like Gatorade for fish.

midthought

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
That's a cute metaphor (Gatorade for goldfish). I've read that salt draws out the fluid that's making him bloat. It might be worth a shot. You're already giving him salt baths so I guess he's tolerating salt fine in general. I don't know if (or how) salt affects meds though.

catfishlover123

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
After reading midthought's post, I would reccomend that you keep giving him salt baths for a couple days. But if that does not work, then...

Treefork

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Going through the same thing with my betta right now. I'm with ya. I hope yours pulls through. I've been treating his water with Maracyn-Two, I'm on day 4 or 5 of treatment now with no noticeable change in the abdominal swelling. Hope you have better luck.

midthought

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
A lot of sources say that salt is definitely not a bad idea, as it may draw out fluids and relieve pressure for the fish. (And as always, the caveat is that changing parameters on an already sick/stressed fish may be too much. ) However, many sources appear to say to definitely use EPSOM salt and not aquarium salt in treating dropsy. Some don't mention epsom. Sources:

epsom salt:
http://fish.turquoisewave.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=43&Itemid=38
http://badmanstropicalfish.com/articles/article24.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fish_dropsy

aquarium salt or both aquarium and epsom salt:

http://www.bubblenest.com/betta-fish/health/health-15.php (anecdotal)

Edit: this is just the fruits of my online research, so if anyone has better info, please do share. im

Furallicah

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
If you are going with aquarium salt and bettas, I've been down that road. Do not treat for reccomended dosage on bettas do 1/4 of that dosage. I put a teaspoon in a 5gal tank. No more. But still I dont suggest aquarium salt as it can cause problems with the slime coat of fish. And also dont forget if you do add salt the salt is only removed through water changes so it doesnt need to be added every day. Only after 5 water changes at 25% would I add more of the salt.

Jequila

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
If you are going with aquarium salt and bettas, I've been down that road. Do not treat for reccomended dosage on bettas do 1/4 of that dosage. I put a teaspoon in a 5gal tank. No more. But still I dont suggest aquarium salt as it can cause problems with the slime coat of fish. And also dont forget if you do add salt the salt is only removed through water changes so it doesnt need to be added every day. Only after 5 water changes at 25% would I add more of the salt.
Yeah, I was a little worried about that so I'm just doing Epsom salt baths in a separate bowl.
Just got back from work, he's still alive! Just chilling out at the bottom of the tank though... not moving a lot.

leeishom

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
do not allow a pet to suffer either help it heal or help it pass on.
either way, both takes time.

its up to you.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom