Help should I put him in his tank?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bettaloulou

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
My tank isnt finished cycling. It keeps getting out of whack. The ammonia is decreasing but slowly, but the nitrite spike is complete. I dont know what happened, I kept putting ammonia in, but maybe too much? I dont know.

But now my fish looks like he might be coming down with finrot. Ive had him almost 2 weeks in a very small container hanging inside of the tank to keep the temp stable and even with water changes every day, sometimes twice a day, Im worried the water isnt clean enough and it will get worse. he has a small hole in his tailfin that just appeared today. I feel like its time to change the water in the tank and put him in...what should i do????? Please help, im so sick of worrying about all of this...

Shiba

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
i'd say get a $11 wal-mart tank, since they're bigger than cups.
Treating for finrot would be impossible in that cup though, at least for me, because the stuff i use has to work for 4 days.
If you're not too worried about ammonia, then I'd add the fish, but that's only if the fin rot takes a huge turn for the worse and you have to have to treat him.

Furallicah

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
How much ammonia are you adding into the tank? And how many times a day?
If its just a small hole in his fin it isnt fin rot. Their tails can do that depending on genetics. If the tips of the fins are not turning black then your fine. They will also clamp their fins if they were to get finrot. I would just keep changing the water every day and put him into the main tank. Use Prime to keep the ammonia from going haywire like it has been. 25%ish water changes a day with Prime will work well. I would add a little garlic juice to his food to keep his fins good. Getting some vitachem will also work wonders on fin holes/rips.

https://www.fishlore.com/fishforum/furallicah/69014-prime.html

https://www.fishlore.com/aquariummagazine/feb08/fish-finrot.htm

Last edited:
OP
bettaloulou

bettaloulou

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I had stopped using the liquid test every day and went off of a little meter that i got. according to the meter the ammonia was going down really fast and I was adding about 10 drops every other day or so whenever it went back down to yellow. I knew there was probably still some in there, but then i tested with the liquid test again and it was 8ppm and that was on monday. I did about a 50% water change to get it down to 4, and today its still at about 1. Yesterday the nitrites were back up, but today they are down to zero again, so i know that some ammonia is being processed, just not fast enough yet. If i put him in the tank I know i will still have to do a lot of water changes to keep the water clean, but id like to try to treat without medicine at first cause ive read that clean warm water and vita-chem and garlic can help a lot...should i use medicine?

EDIT: These are all numbers for my tank, which i dont have my betta in yet.

Last edited:

Shiba

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I didn't know this site existed when i dealt with fin rot, but Jungle fungus eliminator works definetly. I would try good water changes and the whole garlic food thing though.

Furallicah

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
I would not use medication unless you knew he had finrot 100%. As of now clean water, that is heated with garlic soaked food will do really good. I would invest in a bottle of vitachem...a little goes a long way. And I hear it works very well. Can you post a picture of him?

OP
bettaloulou

bettaloulou

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Thanks, Im already using vitachem in water every day, that and stress coat plus. I soak his pellets in garlic. So are you saying I should put him in the tank now, or wait until its done cycling?

Ill try now to get a pic of him

Furallicah

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
You can put Him in the tank if you have Prime....if not I would not do it until it was done cycling and that is being said judged from your liquid test kits only. The wall things arent that accurate. I would just keep up with the water changes on the tank. If you got some prime then you could. Until then sit back and wait really....I would also back off on the ammonia drops...more like 5...see if your tank flips out again. How big is the tank exactly?

Shiba

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I'd really say it's up to you, some sites say that too much ammonia and nitrites will kill, but some is still ok.
I'd put him in, and watch the levels like a hawk, or get said $11 walmart tank and float THAT in the water for more room.

Furallicah

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Ammonia and Nitrite at any level will kill a fish, mainly through stressing them out. And Ammonia can cause their gills to be burnt and basically make them smoother to death. Like I said if you dont have Prime or someother dechlornator that detoxs the ammonia I would not do it.

OP
bettaloulou

bettaloulou

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I could get some prime, my bottle of stress coat says it takes care of ammonia so i thought that was okay for his containter.

Yeah it was too much ammonia, cause the meter was only measuring the NH3 not total ammonia. I havent added any for almost a week now.
Its a 5 gallon tank.

Ive tried to float bigger containers, but since my tank is small its hard to find stuff that fits and still floats and doesnt get splashed with the unclean water from the filter.

Okay i got a pic of his tail, i just have to resize it.

Shiba

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
yeah they do make water conditioner that removes ammonia like your optimus PRIME stuff, lol.
then get some of that if you think it's fin rot and put him in.

picture! yay

Lucy

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I'm sorry about your betta's fins, however, imo, putting him in an uncycled tank really isn't a good idea.
What size container is he in?

OP
bettaloulou

bettaloulou

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Its really small. its all i could find that would fit and hang inside of his tank....ill check the box.. hmm doesnt say, but its its smaller than a quart. I only thought he would have to be in there for a few days, but my tank is acting all funky and its taking longer now.

Last edited:

Furallicah

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
.....Ok Chem 101. NH3 is ammonia NH4 is ammonium which is harmless to fish. Prime takes NH3 ammonia and added hydrogen atoms to it creating NH4 ammonium. The effects of this will last for 24hours before the ammonium changes back into ammonia. Your filters bacteria will remove the ammonium from the tank and some will be created again and some will be removed. The first link I provided you explains this titles "Prime!" Stress Coat+ Despite what the bottle says does not detox ammonia..at all. Prime and Amequol+ (sp) however do. Also on the medication, if your not sure your betta has fin rot then there is no need in treating for it. Medications can cause harm if they are used incorrectly.

Lucy

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
How long have you been cycling the tank and do you have a good liquid test kit?

OP
bettaloulou

bettaloulou

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
about 3 weeks and i have the api master test kit. I guess i just got lazy using the meter to keep an eye on things without having to test every day. It seemed close to the liquid readings at first,so i thought it would work.

Pic of his tail is attached. The hole is new today but his top fin seems a little thinner towards the back than it was when i got him.

Seperate box. No water mixing from the tank

Im really upset to learn that the stress coat plus doesnt detoxify the ammonia. Ill get some prime tomorrow. Id get it tonight if i could, but its too late.

Attachments

Last edited:

Furallicah

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
One, that isnt fin rot. Two, the thinning of the fins happens to a lot of bettas. My betta (Sherlock) his fins do the same thing with out any cause or warning. I think its a genetic malfunction. I would just keep up with a high vitamin diet, it seems to help Sherlocks fins maybe it will help your betta. I think once he is in the tank and able to really use his fins things will be fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Toggle Sidebar

UV Sterilizers Worth It?

• Yes

Votes: 24 23.8%
  • No

Votes: 9 8.9%
  • IDK - never used one before

Votes: 68 67.3%

Top Bottom