Should I Place Something Under Aquarium?

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by 123, Apr 21, 2018.

1. 123Valued MemberMember

Hello :) so I have brought home a second hand aquarium (2 aquariums in two months ... I guess that’s how this hobby goes )

I don’t have anything under my other aquarium. I was wondering, because I just recently seen in shop some rubber mat to place under aquarium, and I also seen someone having a polystyrene under theirs aquarium. What purpose does this serve? And what would you recommend me to do for my new 54 liter long aquarium?

2. TexasDomer

TexasDomerFishlore LegendMember

Does the tank have a rim on it? Is the whole rim supported by the stand? If both answers are yes, then you don't need a mat.

3. OP
    OP

123Valued MemberMember

This is what the tank looks like. It has the top to it too, but I need to clean it first. I’m just having some water in overnight to make sure it is not leaking because of some auirbubbles which I can see when I look down in the sides. But yes, it does have a plastic rim around. And the air pockets are probably just between the rim and the glass, not in the silicone... but just to be sure.

I plan on having it flat on a table. Also, there is really no place in my apartment where the aquarium could stand completely leveled because of old wooden uneven floors. I thought maybe the rubber mat serves as something to keep the aquarium in place, or to distribute the pressure more evenly or something.

Attached Files:

4. TexasDomer

TexasDomerFishlore LegendMember

Looks like it should be fine without the mat, just make sure the entire rim is supported. If it's just uneven by a little, 1/8-1/4" or so, it shouldn't be too much of a problem, but you can shim the stand or use a mat to level it out.

The mats are common for rimless tanks, as the entire bottom needs to be supported since there's no rim.

5. OP
    OP

123Valued MemberMember

Thank you so much for explanation! :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice