Should i place my crayfish in a little breeder container when they molt?

1. P

Pontiff New Member Member

I've got a blue and a vanilla crayfish in a 20 gallon long tank, along with a few other small fish. Should I put them in a breeder container with some gravel when they molt, so that the other crayfish can't get to it while it's vulnerable?

2. W

Wildside Valued Member Member

It's a possibility but if there's some shelter for it in the aquarium (caves, plants, flowerpots, etc.) it should be okay.

3. Sarah73

Sarah73 Fishlore VIP Member

You should never put two regular crayfish in a 20g. When you have small fish with them you are going to have no fish in that tank soon. You are also going to only have one crayfish soon because they need more space. If you have shelters for them then they will be fine.

4. OP
    OP
    P

Normally that is the case, but my blue and white one get along well for the most part, and the fish are too quick for them to catch. I've had them all together for months and so far I haven't had any issues. They hide in their caves when they molt, I only ask about the breeder container out of curiosity because I've seen other people do it.

The rule of thumb for smaller crayfish is 1 per every ten gallons, so everyone has enough space.

5. Sarah73

Smaller crayfish meaning yours or dwarf

6. OP
    OP
    P

Meaning mine. Any that stop growing after they reach 5-6 inches

7. Sarah73

So you will need 60gal for one crayfish, but that is not accurate. For one crayfish it's 20gal minimum. Keeping more than one in a 20gal is very dangerous because if one lashes out for no reason you are going to be sad.

8. OP
    OP
    P

No no, not 1 inch of crayfish per 10 gallons, 1 whole crayfish per 10 gallons. That's the rule I've known and implemented. So far it's been fine. I had them separated with a glass divider at first, but they kept finding ways to get on each other's side, so eventually I just got rid of the divider and let them hang out together. Once they start reaching full size I will probably get them a bigger tank because you're right about me being upset if my bigger blue one kills my smaller white one.

9. Sarah73

Oh lol sorry didn't see that. It shouldn't be 1 whole crayfish for a 10g. Dwarf crayfish only need a 5gal. Your needs a 20gal minimum for 1 crayfish because like I said they will fight soon. But if you don't want to get a bigger tank and everything is peaceful I would just add more hiding spots and more plants, so they don't feel threatened.

10. OP
    OP
    P

They usually stay on their respective sides and only occasionally stray onto each other's side. They'll hang out in each others caves briefly before returning to their own. I think using that divider and forcing them to claim the only territory in their area actually made it possible for them to cohabitate peacefully lol.

11. Sarah73

Lol. Just add more hiding spots and more plants and I think you will be able to keep the peace longer!