Should I order shrimp online or not

FishOverseer909

I recently have been shopping for more unique neo caridina shrimp specifically yellow ones however my pet store does not supply them. So should I order them or should I just be happy with the reds I have

bettafairy

Wow! We are in similar positions lol. I currently have one neo yellow shrimp and was looking for some similar colored friends for her. I purchased shrimp off of the AquaticArts website last night. I think they have lots of variants of yellow, like racing stripe. Let me know what you think of their stock, I think LiveAquaria also has some yellows.

Upvote 0

FishOverseer909

LiveAquaria does have a pretty good looking stock however I'm mainly concerned with whether or not the shrimp will arrive alive and healthy especially since the shrimp are quite expensive

Upvote 0

Mhamilton0911

I say yes. I ordered 20, from aquabid. All 20 were alive, 1 was doa but they did include an extra. So I made it out with the 20. They have low bioload and are small so I think they ship quite well. As long as you're ordering from quality stock you should be fine.

You might want to check the buy sell part of the forum to see if anyone here has any to sell.

Upvote 0

FishOverseer909

Ok well I'll probably order some yellows some time next week thank you for the advice

Upvote 0

bettafairy

No problem! The yellows are my favorite. My female is named banana. :>

Upvote 0

awilkinson871

I was browsing shrimpybusiness online thinking the same thing the other day. They had reds and yellow and I was debating ordering. In the end I decided the tank needed more time. Let me know if you guys have any luck so I can plan for the future.

Upvote 0

bettafairy

I was browsing shrimpybusiness online thinking the same thing the other day. They had reds and yellow and I was debating ordering. In the end I decided the tank needed more time. Let me know if you guys have any luck so I can plan for the future.
shrimpybusiness is so overpriced!! i ended up going with aquaticarts just because of the price difference.

Upvote 0

awilkinson871

shrimpybusiness is so overpriced!! i ended up going with aquaticarts just because of the price difference.
Good to know. I have not had shrimp before. I am working on a tank now that I hope to add some too eventually. I have some plants but want to add more. I think I will also add all the other fish first and then make sure the parameters will be good for shrimp.

Upvote 0

bettafairy

Good to know. I have not had shrimp before. I am working on a tank now that I hope to add some too eventually. I have some plants but want to add more. I think I will also add all the other fish first and then make sure the parameters will be good for shrimp.
I currently have a ghost shrimp colony! It is quite rewarding to own shrimp.

Upvote 0

FishOverseer909

How big of a tank do you have
Just wondering because Im planning to get a 7 gallon but Im not sure if it would be a great fit or not

Upvote 0

bettafairy

How big of a tank do you have
It is a 3.3g, heavily planted, filtered and heated EcoQube. They have been thriving and have all had successful molts. I have exactly 9 shrimp, and thankfully, they do not breed successfully since I do not take the females out, and they eat all the eggs. (I for sure do not want a million tiny see-through shrimp babies)
A 7g would be amazing for a large colony. How many shrimp do you plan on keeping?

Upvote 0

FishOverseer909

Ok so 7 gallons should be more than enough

Upvote 0

bettafairy

Ok so 7 gallons should be more than enough
I think it is 5 shrimp per 1 gallon. But honestly a 3.3g is the smallest I’d keep a colony in. (Especially if it’s some kind of jar!!) If it’s an all shrimp tank your numbers would rise a lot faster in such a large tank.

Upvote 0

FishOverseer909

It is a 3.3g, heavily planted, filtered and heated EcoQube. They have been thriving and have all had successful molts. I have exactly 9 shrimp, and thankfully, they do not breed successfully since I do not take the females out, and they eat all the eggs. (I for sure do not want a million tiny see-through shrimp babies)
A 7g would be amazing for a large colony. How many shrimp do you plan on keeping?
Im hoping to keep maybe like 40 -50 shrimp

Upvote 0

MyFishAddiction

I know of a member on here (don't rember who) who had like 100+ shrimp in a 10 gallon

Upvote 0

ProudPapa

I know of a member on here (don't rember who) who had like 100+ shrimp in a 10 gallon

I have, and I'm not the only one. I've removed 75 from a 10 gallon tank and left a thriving population behind. I wouldn't be surprised to learn there had been 150 or more before taking out the 75.

Upvote 0

BruinAquatics

Wow! We are in similar positions lol. I currently have one neo yellow shrimp and was looking for some similar colored friends for her. I purchased shrimp off of the AquaticArts website last night. I think they have lots of variants of yellow, like racing stripe. Let me know what you think of their stock, I think LiveAquaria also has some yellows.
How much is shipping for aquaticarts?

Upvote 0

bettafairy

How much is shipping for aquaticarts?
I paid $30 for the 1-9 days shipping guarantee, they also have a DOA policy so I’m sure that if any shrimp arrive dead they will refund you.

Upvote 0

BruinAquatics

What's the cheapest option lol. Yeah DOA policy is convenient though

Upvote 0

bettafairy

What's the cheapest option lol. Yeah DOA policy is convenient though
I think it depends on how many shrimp you buy, I had the option to spend $40 on 1-2 day shipping for the three shrimp I bought, but I went with the cheaper 1-9 day option.

Upvote 0

BruinAquatics

Oh ok dang $30 is a lot for just shrimp lol. I'll look into. I think im just gonna do aquahuna since they have flat rat shipping of $12.99

Upvote 0

bettafairy

Oh ok dang $30 is a lot for just shrimp lol. I'll look into. I think im just gonna do aquahuna since they have flat rat shipping of $12.99
I thought the same thing but it was cheaper than LiveAquarias. I’ll have to check out aquahuna!

Upvote 0

BruinAquatics

I thought the same thing but it was cheaper than LiveAquarias. I’ll have to check out aquahuna!
Ah dang I was hoping liveaquaria wasn't that expensive to. Yeah Aquahuna is pretty good IMO

Upvote 0

Tezzy

I have some yellows from Aquahuna. They’re vibrant and doing well so far! They all arrived alive.

Attachments

• D4163D96-47F4-4FB3-AB0E-C06DDB9FF224.jpeg
    D4163D96-47F4-4FB3-AB0E-C06DDB9FF224.jpeg
    181.4 KB · Views: 17
  • DA5F587C-CF6B-4B19-9C8A-E0A5728DBC84.jpeg
    DA5F587C-CF6B-4B19-9C8A-E0A5728DBC84.jpeg
    138 KB · Views: 18
Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
richiep