Should I Move My Tank

Status
Not open for further replies.

s hawk

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I have a fluval spec III that has a bad hair algae problem. I have been cutting down on food and photo period. However the algae isn't letting up. My tank is right under the window (as shown), would moving the tank help with the algae problem.

1493156023423.jpg

purslanegarden

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Yes the sun light coming through, adds to the photoperiod of the tank. Sun light is even more powerful than the aquarium light.

in other words, you could have been having over 12+ hours day in, day out, on that tank. I think I can even see the greenness of the algae on the rocks/substrate, so that's definitely a lot!

Herkimur

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
You're under planted for the amount of nutrients that are in your water.
Algae happens a lot when you have plant substrate that is nutrient rich and only small root feeders and no water column feeders.

You need a greedy plant that can outcompete your algae.

OP
S

s hawk

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Yeah I was thinking that. The two Anubias and java fern are water column feeders but probably don't grow fast enough. The hygrophilia compacta is a root feeder it believe. I also have some flame moss but gets so covered in algae that it gets moved to my lower light tank to kill off the algae (and my shrimp and snail can get to it).

What are some suggestions for plants then. I would be willing to replace the hygrophilia compacta. Also I only have a local pet store and Petco here (Petco is my choice for plants out of the two both on cost and selection)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Toggle Sidebar

Top Bottom