Should I Move My Molly?

AquaticQueen

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I while ago, I bought 3 mollies for a 10 gallon (I know, big mistake). 2 of them died a while ago and I know have one female molly. She is probably about 2-3 inches now. She is the boss of the tank but also a bully. I got some corys about 2 months ago (another mistake) but he nips the corys a lot of the time, especially at feeding time and has (I am assuming, there were no other reasons for it to have happened) killed one of the corys.
I have seen fin damage on them quite a few times and she often hogs their shrimp pellets so they live about 60% off of the flakes that are meant for the molly but she rushes toward the shrimp pellets as soon as I drop them in the tank. I have tried everything, dropping them on the opposite side of the tank, dropping them in when she is distracted, and putting them directly on the bottom of the tank.
I obviously can't remove her during feeding or put up a divider so I have come to the end of my rope. Putting her in a different tank. I have considered rehoming her but no one wants a generic dalmatian female molly.
I would like to put her in at least a 20 gallon (preferably a 30 gallon) tank but I won't have room for one for a while. Should I just go pick up another 10 gallon?

Sorry for the long post. Please help.

TremayneBC

Reaction score
AquaticQueen said:
I while ago, I bought 3 mollies for a 10 gallon (I know, big mistake). 2 of them died a while ago and I know have one female molly. She is probably about 2-3 inches now. She is the boss of the tank but also a bully. I got some corys about 2 months ago (another mistake) but he nips the corys a lot of the time, especially at feeding time and has (I am assuming, there were no other reasons for it to have happened) killed one of the corys.
I have seen fin damage on them quite a few times and she often hogs their shrimp pellets so they live about 60% off of the flakes that are meant for the molly but she rushes toward the shrimp pellets as soon as I drop them in the tank. I have tried everything, dropping them on the opposite side of the tank, dropping them in when she is distracted, and putting them directly on the bottom of the tank.
I obviously can't remove her during feeding or put up a divider so I have come to the end of my rope. Putting her in a different tank. I have considered rehoming her but no one wants a generic dalmatian female molly.
I would like to put her in at least a 20 gallon (preferably a 30 gallon) tank but I won't have room for one for a while. Should I just go pick up another 10 gallon?

Sorry for the long post. Please help.
Oh my word.......I have the EXACT same problem with the same darn fish (see her smiling in the pic :D .... I really feel like feeding the greedy bugger to the Oscar's but my girlfriend won't let me do that to her fish. I hope someone has a solution

Attachments

dylan118tang

Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Dalmatian female molly are really mean. It's one of the first fish I've gotten, and I ended up returning her and exchanged for a crimsical molly instead. One thing I've noticed about molly aggression is the sex ratio. 2 females will definitely fight. Most commonly recommended ratio is 1male to 2female. But then again, one dalmation molly on its own is aggressive enough especially in smaller tanks. If you mix different sex of mollies, they reproduce crazily and the males will more than often constantly harass females to mate. I really love mollies, but I gave up on dalmations because of aggression.

If you want tank mates for her, I'd say add something that is not a molly so they don't fight. Tetras are perfect for 10gallons. Or you can keep her alone until you upgrade to a bigger tank(most of us do eventually anyways).

OP
AquaticQueen

AquaticQueen

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
dylan118tang said:
Dalmatian female molly are really mean. It's one of the first fish I've gotten, and I ended up returning her and exchanged for a crimsical molly instead. One thing I've noticed about molly aggression is the sex ratio. 2 females will definitely fight. Most commonly recommended ratio is 1male to 2female. But then again, one dalmation molly on its own is aggressive enough especially in smaller tanks. If you mix different sex of mollies, they reproduce crazily and the males will more than often constantly harass females to mate. I really love mollies, but I gave up on dalmations because of aggression.

If you want tank mates for her, I'd say add something that is not a molly so they don't fight. Tetras are perfect for 10gallons. Or you can keep her alone until you upgrade to a bigger tank(most of us do eventually anyways).
I already am keeping her with 3 corys and 2 male guppies. I just got the guppies the other day so I can still return them if need be. Should I, or are they fine where they are?
Also, I understand the corys should not be kept in 10 gallons, but that was one of my beginner mistakes.

dylan118tang

Reaction score
Experience
4 years
AquaticQueen said:
I already am keeping her with 3 corys and 2 male guppies. I just got the guppies the other day so I can still return them if need be. Should I, or are they fine where they are?
Also, I understand the corys should not be kept in 10 gallons, but that was one of my beginner mistakes.
From my experience, mollies will only seriously fight mollies or fish that resemble the size/looks of a molly. So guppies and corys should be fine, unless you see the molly showing aggression towards them. For example, my molly fought my betta before. I also had another molly with big pearl gouramis, and the molly will occasionally confront the gouramis. Adding more hiding spaces for the smaller fish will help too.

OP
AquaticQueen

AquaticQueen

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
dylan118tang said:
From my experience, mollies will only seriously fight mollies or fish that resemble the size/looks of a molly. So guppies and corys should be fine, unless you see the molly showing aggression towards them. For example, my molly fought my betta before. I also had another molly with big pearl gouramis, and the molly will occasionally confront the gouramis. Adding more hiding spaces for the smaller fish will help too.
Okay thanks. I'll go out to get some more plants and such as soon as I can. Any recommendations as to cory hiding places? Would some hornwort be a good hiding spot for the guppies?

dylan118tang

Reaction score
Experience
4 years
AquaticQueen said:
Okay thanks. I'll go out to get some more plants and such as soon as I can. Any recommendations as to cory hiding places? Would some hornwort be a good hiding spot for the guppies?
Anything from drift wood, rocks, plants, bug pvc pipes, flower pots will do. They also love sand, but I had corys in gravel and aqua soil bottom before. Hornwort are good for small fish, but they do shed a bit of their "horns".

New Threads

Follow FishLore!

FishLore on Social Media

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Aquarium Photo Contests

Aquarium Calculator

Top Bottom