Should I Move My Fish Back?

1. luckdown

luckdown Member Member

So I had an emergency which required me to move my 40 gallon fish buddies into smaller tanks with other fish. One of the tanks I filled with fish I had actually bought for it but was just scared of adding them. They do wonderful and are staying.

Another tank I know is horribly overstocked and has stocking issues. However I've been doing daily water tests and so far the levels haven't been an issue at all. And ontop of that this mixture of fish is the happiest I've seen all these fish (they're actually fish from 4 different tanks that slowly all ended up together for various reasons)

It's a 10 gallon tank
    Parameters are;
    Ammonia 0
    Nitrites 0
    Nitrates typically 10-20 (has been 20 more often with the addition of the new fish) but I'm currently doing an experiment for my plants and am going to maintain it at 5
    pH 7.8 (I know this is an issue for all my tanks but my fish have adapted and are perfectly fine)

My filter is for a 20 gallon tank and I do at least a 25% water change once a week, and test in the middle of the week to see if I need to do another water change or not.

I just put an airstone light combo in it
    It's also lightly planted and once I can figure out how to properly take care of plants I will be adding more to help keep my levels maintained

The stocking which I know has all sorts of issues is as follows.
    5 black bellied limia (original tanks inhabitants - it was supposed to be a species only tank)
    1 male betta (has never flared or chased or even followed another fish too closely the entire time I've had him he is 100% safe and I trust him with everyone in there)
    3 Platies (these were from the emergency and are the biggest issue of overstocking in the tank)
    6 least killifish (these were added last because they were in a species only tank but weren't really happy and all their fry were coming out still born and this was the only tank that they could of possibly been safe in that might of improved them and it's been wonderful for them! They're soooo much happier now and I've even spotted a fry that wasn't stillborn last night!)

The least killifish are going to stay regardless because they're just a thousand times better for this change.

But should I take out the 3 Platies so it's no longer overstocked even though they've been in better tank setups but this is the happiest I've ever seen them? And they also make all my other fish in the tank much much happier as well.

Or should I just up my water changes either by volume or times per week? I mean i keep my levels at what I've been told was safe but I CAN keep them at even lower levels to make this safer.

I'm not sure which is the best option because I know my stocking is incorrect (i knew before i added any of them) but I also know they're extremely happy with this setup. I'm torn between being correct and their happiness.

There's also another tank that I had to move my cories into that was incorrect (put them in my betta rescue tank) the bettas are all rehomed now. But my cories went from the happiest I've ever seen them with these bettas to extremely depressed and spent 3 days refusing to move after the last of the bettas left. I knew the tank was incorrect. I fixed it. But my cories have suffered greatly due to depression.

I just don't want to repeat that mistake. Because although I've added some new fish buddies for them after that 3rd day because I couldn't take them being this sad and they're not nearly as depressed anymore. They aren't anywhere close to as happy as they were with the betta rescues. But I know they shouldn't of ever been with a betta. Im at a loss.

Again theres no actual issues with the tank other than I know they shouldn't be together. But is it more important to follow what you know is correct. Or what your fish do best with?

2. Galathiel

Galathiel Well Known Member Member

Three platies really is a full stocking for a 10 gallon. They need to be moved. I would move the betta to its own tank as well.

3. OP
    OP
    luckdown

luckdown Member Member

Yeah I'm well aware of that. They're 80% stocked by themselves in that tank. And I agree they shouldn't be there, but they're thriving in this tank instead of just surviving like they were in the 40 gallon.

Like to compare how they were. In the 40 gallon the pair who are always together stayed together in a small section mostly hidden and never interacted with others. The other female stayed hidden 90% of the time. In this tank with this mixture they never hide, they interact with every fish, they play, they never go off to be by themselves (there's plenty of places they could do this if they wanted to, the first few days they were always by themselves).

They originally started off as 3, 5 then 4 platies in the 10 gallon (just them) and at least 2 to 3 were hiding often. So it's not the tank size that's causing the difference in behavior.

The betta does best with other fish so he's staying in this tank. If he ever becomes an issue he'll be moved (and I have a nice tank open in the event this needs to happen) but he's not an issue and likely will never be an issue.

I would like to hear a few more opinions though to see what the majority think. I believe this tank could be possible for someone that's experienced and is extremely ontop of things. And I have no issues stepping up my game to make it work if it can be done.

I know what should be done, I know my issues and how bad they are/aren't. I know I could also in theory make this work with proper filtration and maintenance.

I want to know what's best. Doing what's correct or doing what makes them the happiest.

I don't want anyone to think me saying this means I won't move them. I just don't want to move them if I don't have to because I don't want to cause more of my fish to become depressed by taking them out of a situation that's made them the happiest they've been. But if proper stocking is more important than their happiness then so be it.

4. Mick Frost

Mick Frost Member Member

Keep the Platys in the 10 and move everyone else back to the 40? (Limias too, and please post a pic of them)

5. Galathiel

Galathiel Well Known Member Member

So basically you just want confirmation that you can keep all those fish in the 10 gallon? Because some fish have been forced by close proximity into interactions, doesn't mean that it's a better scenario for them.

6. OP
    OP
    luckdown

luckdown Member Member

No. I'm not looking for confirmation for that. I'm looking for which is the more important thing to look at because I was planning on moving them back to the 40 gallon today but don't want to wind up with more depressed fish like I did with my cories.

Just trying to figure out if I'm going to move them today and if it's the best call.

I agree with what you said but isn't it also stressed out and unhappy fish spend a good amount of their time hiding? That is what I'm going based off mostly for this. Not so much the interactions.

Not sure if you meant it this way because hard to tell via text but your tone felt a bit harsh to me. (I am extremely sensitive though)

I could but that doesn't help my stocking in the most beneficial way. The Platies are the ones with the highest bioload and would need more space. Plus least killifish would not fare well in a 40 gallon due to it being too big, or so I've read. Without the Platies the tank should be understocked I believe.

Pictures don't do them justice. They have a really pretty blue/purple shimmer to them. I'm also horrible with pictures :p

Ideally I want the Platies nice and happy and not constantly hiding in the 40 gallon. I want my fish in the best situation and as happy as possible, that's all I care about.

Attached Files:

7. Mick Frost

Mick Frost Member Member

Love the Limias.
    I don't think the Killies would have an issue in the 40, but I agree the 10 wouldn't give the Platys much room.
    If the Betta is fine with it, maybe just move the Platys and Corys into the 40. I don't think I'd trust the Betta with all those small pretty fish, but you know your fish better than I do. My Dwarf Neon Rainbows were ticked when I split their school up (moved the Leopard Danios to HT), so I kinda understand.

8. OP
    OP
    luckdown

luckdown Member Member

Yeah cories are being moved back today. And I think I'm leaning towards just moving the platy back cuz it's probably smarter to have them upset for a while. I'm sure they'll eventually get over it.

Oh man now that you word it like that I want to move him lmao. I did test him with fry first though and he never touched them. The most he does is glance at them when they swim by then go snuggle with a limia or lay in his spot ontop of the plant. If he ever gave me any reason to even be suspicious of him he's out and into his own tank though. But that's always been the case.

I would think the killifish would be fine in a large tank but everything I read says it stresses them out and they'll just stay hidden.

Idk! Gonna go give that 40 gallon a nice scrub and water change while it just has the fry and start moving everyone over

Well they're moved. Everyone's extremely upset hopefully they calm down soon. I know you gotta give them a few days to adjust.

Cories aren't upset though lol they're just happy munching on some food.