Should i move female pregnant mollies?

philly27

i have a community tank with 7 danios, 2 honey gourami's, 4 Bolivian rams, 2 nerite snails and 3 Dalmatian mollies (1 male, 2 female). i know one molly is pregnant as the male will not leave her alone as he "sniffs" her analfin area continuously and another female who i believe may or may not be pregnant as well. my question is should i move one or both females to a 10 gallon cycled tank? so they can be in peace? will her babies be eaten if stayed in current community tank? should i move the females? will the other female eat the fry if not their own? advice greatly appreciated and followed. thanks fam

kansas

I'd leave them in the tank they are in. A few fry will survive.

Unless you have somebody who wants the fry, you'll end up with more than you want if you save all the fry.

Upvote 0

philly27

I'd leave them in the tank they are in. A few fry will survive.

Unless you have somebody who wants the fry, you'll end up with more than you want if you save all the fry.
how many do they drop? are they big enough for my tank occupants to not eat them? i have a pretty decent amount of java moss in 4 different areas of my tank thats really thriving

Upvote 0

BigManAquatics

I have had mollies easily drop 20-30 fry, and most in the tank can eat them, including the mama's.

Upvote 0

smee82

Both female will be preggers and can store sperm for 6+ months after last being with a male. Then number of fry dropped depends on the size and age of the female but young ones around 20 to 30, big old ones it seems like 100s that drop that continuously.

Molly fry are a bit bigger then other livebeares so you will get a handful to survive each time more if you have lots of plants.

Upvote 0

philly27

Both female will be preggers and can store sperm for 6+ months after last being with a male. Then number of fry dropped depends on the size and age of the female but young ones around 20 to 30, big old ones it seems like 100s that drop that continuously.

Molly fry are a bit bigger then other livebeares so you will get a handful to survive each time more if you have lots of plants.
i have what i call java moss spheres in 4 parts of the tank and a java fern plant mat. should i leave be? or move the females ?

Upvote 0

smee82

i have what i call java moss spheres in 4 parts of the tank and a java fern plant mat. should i leave be? or move the females ?

Id leave it be

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
  • philly27
  • Molly
Replies
Views
FishyFanatic86
Replies
Views
Ouse