Question Should i leave the lights on?

Pfrozen

Well Known
Reaction score
Just planted and rescaped my 10g. Should I leave the lights on overnight? The fish get stressed If I shut the lights off right after changing stuff. Thanks

Red_Rose

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Hello! Personally, I would leave the lights on for at the most, an hour and then shut it off because I'd want the fish to get used to having the lights shutting off at a certain time each night.

Next time you decide to do any rearranging in the tank, try doing it during the day so the fish can have time to settle down while it's still light out.

Redshark1

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Their natural biorythms depend on a day/night cycle. Without it their basic metabolic processes will be unable to function.

However, this is normally (in the wild) a gradual change from day to night so try to replicate this.

DoubleDutch

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Redshark1 said:
Their natural biorythms depend on a day/night cycle. Without it their basic metabolic processes will be unable to function.

However, this is normally (in the wild) a gradual change from day to night so try to replicate this.
In the tropics that doesn't happen that gradually I'd say.

I'd simply shut lights down.

Redshark1

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
"Should I leave the lights on overnight?" NO

"The fish get stressed If I shut the lights off right after changing stuff." FIND A WAY OF DOING IT GRADUALLY. My aquarium lights go off during the daytime so the transfer of day to night is more gradual and more natural and my fish don't get shocked.

I don't think its good if the fish are shocked and panicking. I think the change from day to night in the wild will be measured in minutes, even in the tropics, whereas switching the aquarium light directly into darkness is instantaneous and measured in fractions of a second. That's why the fish panic because it is very sudden and shocking to them.

DoubleDutch

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Redshark1 said:

"The fish get stressed If I shut the lights off right after changing stuff." FIND A WAY OF DOING IT GRADUALLY. My aquarium lights go off during the daytime so the transfer of day to night is more gradual and more natural and my fish don't get shocked.

I don't think its good if the fish are shocked and panicking. I think the change from day to night in the wild will be measured in minutes, even in the tropics, whereas switching the aquarium light directly into darkness is instantaneous and measured in fractions of a second. That's why the fish panic because it is very sudden and shocking to them.
True and I agree hahahaha.

OP
P

Pfrozen

Well Known
Reaction score
Redshark1 said:

I usually leave a light on outside the room with a few nightlights plugged in around the aquarium when I turn the lights off, then shut the door after so it's just the night lights. it's hard because I'm in a basement but it's as gradual as I can make it for now. Gonna get some better lights like I said. Thanks for the help again guys :) I ended up leaving the lights on for an extra hour or two, shouldn't be a major issue

smee82

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Redshark1 said:

I agree but theres no need to yell :p.

New Threads